Just drew for a blind......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushrat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
at Chandler Lake for waterfowl season. This will be my wife's and myself first waterfowl hunt in Oklahoma. It's been several years since we've hunted ducks, and even then we always used a guide. Everything was provided. This time, we're on our own.

If y'all don't mind I would like to pick your brains a bit. Anyone hunted waterfowl at Chandler Lake before? Any recommendations on likely ducks we'll see, decoy setups, do you use confidence decoys, and what type, such as Herons or Egrets. What shot size and favorite brand of shotshells people like around here for 20 ga and 12ga? Any favorite types of blinds or blind material?

I would sure appreciate any info you might be willing to pass on to us. Thank you. :wave:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats on the draw! We're small water and field hunters, so not really any advice from me about decoy spreads or calling over big water. Use layout blinds almost exclusively now as well. Use 3" shells, shot size 1's or 3's of whatever the cheapest brand we can find. Porter would know that area I would think as to what species you'd see the most of. We're usually heavy on the gadwal, wigeon, and pintails. Last year almost all mallards and pins though.

bushrat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! Doing all the research I can, but don't yet know many people that hunt there. Heading out Tuesday to consider blind possibilities. Anyone use anything special? The blind space is right at the edge of the lake, so I'm thinking a light frame and draping camo netting over it, and putting out a Heron confidence decoy and some mallard & pintail decoys with a couple of feeders (they're all I have at the moment). Appreciate your input.

Mr. E

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use to build ours with a chain link dog kennel, just brush it in real good. We put a chicken wire gate about 6x4 on top and secure it with zip ties for cover it would flip open quickly. I lost my pics, will try and see if my buddies still have some. hopefully your gonna get to leave your blind there all season. I looked on youtube real quick and found one that was the basic premise I told you about. Ours was invisible if you wanna contact me I could talk u through it. I'll give link to youtube video.http://youtu.be/LqAwFZHEt90

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i've been thinking about the old chandler lake lately. we had blinds on bell cow for a few years then tried the old lake. we did better on chandler than on bell cow. seemed to be easier hunting with less pressure. keep us informed as i've been pondering giving it another try next year. keep in mind that my experience was in the early 90's!

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated before, skip the permanent blind. Invest in layout blind. If there is 40-ft of mud bank before the water, simply mud the blind and hunt right at the waters edge.
Also invested in or rig motion decoys. I can kill just as many ducks with 10 decoys as some guys kill with 300 decoys. Its all about making things look realistic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom