Just saw a guy wearing a CCW badge...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cops are not required to carry a badge off duty... in fact a badge is techmically nothing but a piece of shiny metal the document an officer should always have on them is called a commission card it is like a drivers license except it shows you are a commissioned peace officer

Wrong.

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Chapter 53 - Manufacture, Sale, and Wearing of Weapons
Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971
Section 1289.23 - Concealed Firearm for Off-Duty Police Officer
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

A. A full-time duly appointed peace officer who is certified by the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training (CLEET), pursuant to the provisions of Section 3311 of Title 70 of the Oklahoma Statutes, is hereby authorized to carry a weapon certified and approved by the employing agency during periods when the officer is not on active duty as provided by the provisions of subsection B of this section.

B. When an off-duty officer carries a certified weapon, the officer shall be wearing the law enforcement uniform prescribed by the employing agency or when not wearing the prescribed law enforcement uniform, the officer shall be required:

1. To have the official peace officers badge, Commission Card and CLEET Certification Card on his or her person at all times
when carrying a weapon certified and approved by the employing agency; and

2. To keep the authorized weapon concealed from view at all times, except when the weapon is used within the guidelines established by the employing agency.

As Brandi stated, you're just asking for trouble if you wear a "CCW" badge......

chubbs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My department was one of those that asked officers not go heeled in another cities jurisdiction because their police chief had some kind of issue with it and asked our chief, as a favor, to not carry. However, when off duty we were required to have our badge visible close enough to our gun that they were seen at the same time. Having my badge attached to my off duty holster saved me a lot of headaches in other jurisdictions. Although I had a friend, another officer, who was shopping at a large retail store and someone saw his gun/badge under his jacket and called the police. Several officers showed up and detained/questioned him, making a big scene which was pretty embarrassing for his family that was with him. This little incident was one of a couple that led to the whole 'no carry in this city' issue.

I assume you mean that your badge needed to be visible only when your weapon is visible? To me off-duty carry is concealed carry with offical badge cliped to belt. I've heard of some departments requiring handcuffs be carried as well if you carry off-duty.

Wrong.

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Chapter 53 - Manufacture, Sale, and Wearing of Weapons
Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971
Section 1289.23 - Concealed Firearm for Off-Duty Police Officer
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

A. A full-time duly appointed peace officer who is certified by the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training (CLEET), pursuant to the provisions of Section 3311 of Title 70 of the Oklahoma Statutes, is hereby authorized to carry a weapon certified and approved by the employing agency during periods when the officer is not on active duty as provided by the provisions of subsection B of this section.

B. When an off-duty officer carries a certified weapon, the officer shall be wearing the law enforcement uniform prescribed by the employing agency or when not wearing the prescribed law enforcement uniform, the officer shall be required:

1. To have the official peace officers badge, Commission Card and CLEET Certification Card on his or her person at all times
when carrying a weapon certified and approved by the employing agency; and

2. To keep the authorized weapon concealed from view at all times, except when the weapon is used within the guidelines established by the employing agency.

As Brandi stated, you're just asking for trouble if you wear a "CCW" badge......

This is the best post yet on the subject.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I assume you mean that your badge needed to be visible only when your weapon is visible? To me off-duty carry is concealed carry with offical badge cliped to belt. I've heard of some departments requiring handcuffs be carried as well if you carry off-duty.

This is the best post yet on the subject.

Yes, I meant concealed. I clipped my badge directly to my holster so if you saw the gun you saw the badge. We were always to have badge, commission card and CLEET certification card but not handcuffs. We did wear guns exposed off duty while working private security jobs. Since almost every officer worked security jobs as they came available but I'm pretty sure they had to be department approved.

purplehaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do bad guys then target you and take you out first?

Yes, I meant concealed. I clipped my badge directly to my holster so if you saw the gun you saw the badge. We were always to have badge, commission card and CLEET certification card but not handcuffs. We did wear guns exposed off duty while working private security jobs. Since almost every officer worked security jobs as they came available but I'm pretty sure they had to be department approved.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They attempt to do so Mr. Haze, but what happens in my acktural real world experience is they have their own weapons confiscated, examined, and insinuated up their fundaments. I say this based upon my many years in law enforcement.

purplehaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bad guys weapons are examined? Are you the one that examines them?

They attempt to do so Mr. Haze, but what happens in my acktural real world experience is they have their own weapons confiscated, examined, and insinuated up their fundaments. I say this based upon my many years in law enforcement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom