laminate wood flooring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some trim on the fire place one problem that I found out after I started is the fireplace drifts about 3/4" so where the floor meets it at one end there's a 1/4" gap and at the other it's got almost an inch( I measured it off of the wall and the floor is square with it), I did fill the gap with some dark colored caulking to hide it. there is a chair over the larger gap to hide it now also, as for going back and under cutting I wouldn't know where to start especially with you the tongue and grove are laid out where I would have to pop it into the under cut since I started off the wall.

Sorry to hijack but a few YouTube videos can go a long way.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I have often wondered if we're the only people on the planet that hate wood floors. Real wood, laminate, whatever. Anyone else? I know it helps with resale value, but damn I just can't stand them on a house I'm going to live in.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I have often wondered if we're the only people on the planet that hate wood floors. Real wood, laminate, whatever. Anyone else? I know it helps with resale value, but damn I just can't stand them on a house I'm going to live in.

For some people it's an allergy thing. I don't care for dark wood colors, I think they show dirt too easily. I started a job yesterday in Inhofes offices in Tulsa, wood looking vinyl planks. More of a natural tone, I personally like the natural wood shades.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My parents had some and water for spilled on it and it bubbles up. Wasn't very good quality. There neighbors did the same thing. They now have tile that looks exactly like wood. Very nice stuff. But it was pretty expensive.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
anybody a flooring expert? wife wants laminate wood flooring in living room and down the hall. guess I need to find out what it's gonna take.

If you do it make sure you allow a gap for expansion at perimeters. Remove your wall base and get an undercut saw. Work away from an undercut fireplace if possible, you'll find out why if you don't. They do make colored caulking but you'll have to find the source where you live. Something like this is do-able for a lot of people but if you are doubtful, hire someone. Also remember you'll have to fix all you door transitions or places where it changes from one type of flooring to another.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks good
Put some small 1/4 round trim around the f/p, stain it the same color as flooring, caulk it in
You could take it out and undercut the f/p, would be more work, would look better too..... ;)

Getting ready to say the same thing for the flooring in my house. that is what they did prior to me buying the house. Laminate flooring holds up very well as is resistant. Insane the amount of wear and tear they can hold up too.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did my own engineered wood floor. Didn't have to remove base boards. I used quarter round there. Took a 4 day weekend and few more days after to finish up moulding as required. Living room, hallway and around fireplace hearth. Wasn't too rough but I'm not anxious to do it again.

(Concrete slab, had to grind a few spots. Floated the floor over a foam/vapor seal underlayment.)

Can't find my finished pics on phone but here's my "assistant" helping me plan the next row.
image.jpg

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had laminate in our old house installed. looked really good and easily cleaned. Had a leak in kitchen and warped slightly in a few spots. I like tile or real wood better than carpet. Only place for carpet is bedrooms for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom