Let's talk turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are the two I got about 10 seconds apart last spring. I pulled the wad out of the right bird's neck. I named him goofy because of the missing fan feathers. Both were just over 19lbs, 9 & 10.5" beards and 1" spurs. I was hunting north central Commanche Co.

Great hunt! I wonder if the one without the tail feathers was a miss by another hunter with a tight choke?

One thing I have learned, as you well know now, is that if you shoot a bird, and sit still and not do the TV jump up and Hi Five and run to the bird, you can sometimes call the other toms back.
Congrats again!

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hens in my yard are still in a group, but there is one decent tom strutting around all over the place trying to get some to follow him. So far he is not having any luck.
I was standing out in my shop last night with a box call watching them, and when the tom turned away, I cut loose with a yelp, and he would instantly gobble and break into a full strut. :D:D
Messed with him for about 15 minutes, and went back in to work on my atv. They are a hoot to watch:D

I am late this year! The boy got a new turkey rig and we have not even started patterning the thing. Birds are getting ready and I am sitting on my tail! One of these days I am going to try and write up the story of his first miss......8 years old, maybe 5 yards away, more like 2, 28gauge Red Label on public land sitting in my lap, what a ride!

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great hunt! I wonder if the one without the tail feathers was a miss by another hunter with a tight choke?

One thing I have learned, as you well know now, is that if you shoot a bird, and sit still and not do the TV jump up and Hi Five and run to the bird, you can sometimes call the other toms back.
Congrats again!

It wasn't a miss unless the feller was poaching...it was opening day on private land. And I agree about the tv jump up and run, looking like a fool. The second bird started to run off but couldn't resist coming back to "fight" his partner as it was flopping around with an almost detached head. I figured he would miss his friend and decided to save him the sorrow.

Reaction score
I pulled the wad out of the right bird's neck.

Now THAT's a good shot!

The second bird started to run off but couldn't resist coming back to "fight" his partner as it was flopping around with an almost detached head.

Yeah, they do that sometimes....the flopping gets their testosterone/fight mode pumping... good to be in a 2 tom county.

I figured he would miss his friend and decided to save him the sorrow.

You mean his friend who he was gonna stomp on when decapitated? Well that's just mighty thoughtful of you. :D

MMMMM, turkey breast stir-fry with broccoli, onions, peppers, scrambled eggs, & soy sauce - can't wait! Go heavy on the scrambled eggs and first marinate your meat in italian dressing - good stuff.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My family usually comes up on the first few days of turkey season. Here are some pics from last year.
ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_Springturkeyhunt2008002.jpg

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_Springturkeyhunt2008004.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom