lettuce seeds are sprouting :-D

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
started the seeds on the 20th, noticed a couple of sprouts this morning.
I use a spray bottle to water my seedlings :-) Nothing else I planted has sprouted yet... I think the window I have them in may be to cool...

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can only grow lettuce when its cold LOL I always want salads in the summer because they're a lighter 'cool' food (yes I have seasonal appropriate food issues LOL) so I have to buy it during summer. I should try some spinach too!
you can grow a surprisingly large amount of leaf type lettuces in a small amount of space they don't mind being a little crowded up

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I can only grow lettuce when its cold LOL I always want salads in the summer because they're a lighter 'cool' food (yes I have seasonal appropriate food issues LOL) so I have to buy it during summer. I should try some spinach too!
you can grow a surprisingly large amount of leaf type lettuces in a small amount of space they don't mind being a little crowded up

What kind of lettuce do you grow? I may give it a whirl, my garden is about 20x30, but I do a few short rows of corn, a bunch of squash and zuchinni, and a few other things that take a decent amount of room. We should do a "what are you planting thread". I like things that don't mind being crowded, cause that's the only way I grow anything lol.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I order seed from www.anniesheirloomseeds.com and I usually get the lettuce blend its a mix of reds, greens, romaines etc there are so many types of lettuce, I prefer leafy types with a little bit of romaine or even some iceberg tossed in for crunch factor. and I also have a ton of wild lettuce that grows in my yard, I use it when its young along with dandelion greens and sometimes wild violet leaves :-)

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We tried to grow some iceberg lettuce in our fall/winter garden this year, but the cold/freeze got to it before we did. I'd like to try some corn, onions along with our normal tomatoes, cucumbers, squash this year. Not sure about growing started in the house cause my wifes cat will prob eat it as soon as it sprouts. We got our seeds last year from www.seedsnow.com cheap and organic if that matters to you.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my celery is sprouting today and some broccoli too! Cats will def eat sprouts. You could get or recycle a makeshift green house to keep it out? those little cartons that rotisserie chickens come in work great for that. I will check out the seedsnow I love seed cataloges!

Latest posts

Top Bottom