Locating and Calling Coyote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crag83

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All,

I am going to Okmulgee to hunt coyote and bobcats. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for calling, tracking, locating, etc. for coyotes/ bobcats? Also, once I kill the coyote, what the hell do I do with it? I have already heard of people eating it, but I am not going to eat dog. Is it alright to just kill it because there is an abundance of them or is that poaching?

Thanks

Craig

MarcusR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do a lot of calling. The dogs we haul out and dispose of them or we just get out pics and leave them lay. I have never heard of anyone eating a coyote or bobcat. The cats we take with us. Calling and killing a bobcat is a big deal or it was to me. Bobcats are a lot tougher hunt. So we keep them and them tanned. My first bobcat kill is on my wall. It was a great day and beautiful trophy.

keensaber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My advice is to ask locals that you know, where they have seen them. An electronic tape recording is a good way to call them in. No, you don't have to eat them and it is not poaching to kill them. Don't know that much about bobcats.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the time we just ditch them someplace out of the way where people will not be offedned if they come across them. I was joking about the smoking over pecan wood :wave:

If your going to be out by the lake on the public hunting area a shotgun might be your best friend unless it's changed it's pretty thick out there but there are some food plots here and there.

What you can do and it has helped me before is to get on Google Earth and print the area you are going to be hunting, notice the draws, vally's, open areas and you can plot out a plan for calling those areas per the map.

One word on cats, they are slow to come into a call! most people see cat's when they get up to leave a stand IF they even see it at all. I might be crazy but when calling cats I normally give the stand 20-30 minutes then look REAL hard around the area severl times, if your in brush those suckers are damn near impossible to see.

I'm about to head out to Eufaula to go see the folks and try a little calling while I'm there, be sure and post some pictures and let us know how you did. Good luck! Later,

Kirk

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't normally hunt coyotes, just because they are so much like a dog and I love hearing them sing at night. However, I have two large flocks of turkeys in the bottom behind the house, so my interest in hunting them has increased, just to protect the birds. A few weeks ago I was on the 4wheeler and jumped a beautiful dark chocolate brown coyote like I have never seen before, so I would like to hunt it. I went out last night for a session and called one in within my first five minutes of being there. I had an unfavorable wind and one came in right over the top of the hill, 50 yards in front of me. I wasn't looking at him when he came in, spun my head around just enough to see him go back behind the hill. Waited a while and nothing else ever happened, so I crept over the hill where he had came from and he had laid down on the hillside looking away from me. I was 20 yards behind him, with him looking away but I guess he heard my last footstep as I was bringing my gun up. He bolted and by the time I got the crosshairs on him he was amongst the cattle, so he lucked out.

When ya'll go out calling, do you use a decoy? Feather on a string? Nothing? How do you keep from hyperventilating from working the call? haha I found myself getting light headed from blowing the call, especially with a little added excitement from calling one right in. I had about 80 greenheads on the river right below me, so I quickly lost interest in yotes and just listened to the ducks.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good thread. I'd like some good info on yote calling too. Do any of you fellers use a foxpro and if so, how well do the cheap models they have work? Thanks.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do use a foxpro and any model they sell works fine. There are others that work as well, I just have been happy with foxpro.

r00s7a, those hand calls will wind you, some more than others but they are fun to use. When calling and getting busted like you did with the dog over the hill use a pup distress whether with hand or electronic and you'll find you might not only call the dog that busted you but those that you weren't aware of that were close. Thats the last call I use when making a stand for coyotes. Have fun, Don

For you guys that are talking recipes, I hope it was in jest but if not more power to ya, you're tougher men than me :)

Also, theres alot of good predator hunting material over at Oklahoma predator hunters. Drop in anytime. (ophaforums.com)

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to have a Foxpro if I were more into it. They seem like a no brainer. I kinda like the challenge of calling it in by hand so to speak, but that probably takes a lot more talent than what I have.

What is your take on any kind of prey decoy? Worth the trouble or unnecessary? Seems like if they are close enough to see a decoy they would have long been in range for a shot.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the hand calls as well. I started calling them in while bowhunting at the ranch many years ago with the fawn bawls. Lots of good hand calls out there and with persistence it all comes together. There are those that I would call talented but even those of us that aren't call them in :)

I have been using the mojo critter for a few years now. It seems to scare the coyotes less than others I've used and its perfect for cats in my opinion. No matter what you use, nothing pays dividends like time in the field.
I just love to be in the woods when it turns cold and predator hunting just extended that for me. Have fun, Don

Latest posts

Top Bottom