Locating and Calling Coyote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Johnny Stewart Preymaster calls are pretty good; the only gripe I had with mine was that the wire going to the speaker got brittle and broke off. If one didn't want to spend the money for a Foxpro, I would go with the Johnny Stewart. And like Don said, there is a TON of good info on okpredatorhunters.com, and a lot of good guys.

If you visit the site, you will find some info about the annual hunt coming up in January, it's in Elk City this year. We have plenty of public land out here, if you could make the hunt, you could probably hunt with some more experienced guys, and learn a whole lot. Either way, just reading on the website, I've picked up a lot of knowledge. Hope this helps you.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some good advice here. I agree that any electronic call will work and the mouth calls work fine too. The electronic just gets the sound away from you so the animals are not looking right at you when they come in. Predatormasters.com is also a good place to get info on the web. Get after them and take pics to share with us. Good luck.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you allowed to bait coyotes? IE Rancid meat? If you go hangout by a gut pile from a recently taken deer I'd think there would be no calling needed. Or call + gutpile= Coyote dreams. Something eats gut piles, my bet is on Cats and Coyotes.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Supplement calls with live bait. If yotes or cats smell a rabbit along with the distress call, they will come in on a rope. For some real action, use Starlings on cord. Give them enough cord to be able to flit around a little bit. The motion of the flopping bird is like cocaine to the prey drive of the yotes and cats. But, using live bait with predators is just like using minnows while fishing. Dont fall asleep or they will steal the bait off your hook. ;)

MarcusR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use the Johnny Stewart call and mouth calls. We are looking to upgrade to the Fox Pro just cause of the cord issue. If you want to use mouth call just practice. I live out in the country and practive my howls every night i hear the local dogs start in. If they all shut up and i dont hear anything else out of them then i figure im doing something wrong. Or am i thinking wrong? This is the one place i need to improve on and need all the advice i can get. Good luck on the coyote hunting. Crag83 we might be going out this weekend for a set or two if you would like to tag along PM me and maybe we can set something up. We just are not hunting all our ground right now due to our contests coming up in Feb.

OU Gunner

Marksman
Reaction score
Do you need a hunting license? If not if anyone is going I would like to come. I am a newbie in terms of hunting, however i was in the military and know firearm safety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom