Looking at Security Camera Systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimase

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before I purchased mine, I was looking at several listed on costco's website. You do need to be a member to buy at the listed price, but I believe you can purchased with a convenience fee instead.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with POE security camera systems? I like the idea of running a single CAT-5 cable from the camera to the POE switch, but was wondering if anyone here had any drawbacks with that arrangement.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with POE security camera systems? I like the idea of running a single CAT-5 cable from the camera to the POE switch, but was wondering if anyone here had any drawbacks with that arrangement.

That's what I mentioned above. It's very easy and very maintenance free. You get much better video quality for the money and very easy file management and video reviewing.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Consider the cost of a PoE switch, especially if you need more than 4 ports. Eight port PoE switches get $$ pretty fast. But it may still cheaper than having to provide a power supply at each camera (can be a pita.)

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get an 8 channel system with night vision 1080 fair quality and can be linked into your internet for remote viewing from you phone for a couple hundred dollars on amazon. You can spend a ton of cash if you want, but I very happy with my cheaper system that out meets my needs and expectations. Check out the reviews on amazon and ebay then see them on youtube. If you need I will send you the brand of my system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom