Lucky Gunner: Delf “Jelly” Bryce — Why Was Hip Shooting Ever a Thing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A dear friend of mine who is a retired sheriff's deputy said that he learned everything he knows from the old timers like Jelly Bryce and Jeff Cooper. He's the fastest draw I ever seen.

My agency does firearm quals every year, and he always attends. He's so quick, my chief has a video of him drawing, firing 3 rounds (from a revolver) unloading, reloading and holstering before the rest of us get our 3 rounds off. Yeah, he's that fast!

CLEET still teaches hip shooting, but it's a retention type of hip shooting, fired from the 3 foot line. Once you learn how to settle your elbow in and cant your wrist just so, it's pretty much simple and second nature.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A dear friend of mine who is a retired sheriff's deputy said that he learned everything he knows from the old timers like Jelly Bryce and Jeff Cooper. He's the fastest draw I ever seen.

My agency does firearm quals every year, and he always attends. He's so quick, my chief has a video of him drawing, firing 3 rounds (from a revolver) unloading, reloading and holstering before the rest of us get our 3 rounds off. Yeah, he's that fast!

CLEET still teaches hip shooting, but it's a retention type of hip shooting, fired from the 3 foot line. Once you learn how to settle your elbow in and cant your wrist just so, it's pretty much simple and second nature.
I learned that when I went through CLEET. I still practice it regularly and have taught my daughters the method. Double tap to center mass from the hip, then up to sight line, assess the situation and resume fire, if necessary.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jeff Cooper was not a proponent of unsighted fire. He was until Jack Weaver started kicking all their cans at the Big Bear leather slaps by using sighted fire back in the early 60s. Jeff was known as the father of the modern technique, which was the Weaver two hand hold and the flash sight picture. I never knew him to advocate in any way for point shooting.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jeff Cooper was not a proponent of unsighted fire. He was until Jack Weaver started kicking all their cans at the Big Bear leather slaps by using sighted fire back in the early 60s. Jeff was known as the father of the modern technique, which was the Weaver two hand hold and the flash sight picture. I never knew him to advocate in any way for point shooting.

That's true. I was simply stating that Cooper was a big influence in my friends life. I studied his craft as well and really admired him...until I met him in person. He's was quite the pompous, egotistical horse's ass.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Go to the podcast "Gary's Shooting 1979"

This is a really close depiction (once he gets to the shooting part) of an incident I was involved with.
I had my revolver out and the trigger halfway when the other officer got in the way between me and the bad guy with a gun. The other officer like the one in the podcast above, had a death grip on the bad guy's revolver. Then the fight was on.
Of course the other officer and I survived. :patriot:

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I taught for him for 2 years at GunSite, and I'm not going to necessarily argue any of those points except the horse part. He was very opinionated, and once he made his mind up there was no other opinion needed. 😁

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I taught for him for 2 years at GunSite, and I'm not going to necessarily argue any of those points except the horse part. He was very opinionated, and once he made his mind up there was no other opinion needed. 😁

No doubt he knew his stuff, and like I said, I learned a lot from watching him. It was just kind of a let down, ya know? You look forward for years to finally meet one of your mentors, and he just kinda looks down his nose at you.

Oh well, that was a long time ago. RIP colonel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom