M&P45 vs 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it worth the extra $300-400 to get the 1911 that I want vs getting an M&P45?

I have no reservations on reliability or maintainability for either. The M&P isn't as pretty, but it seems to be much more practical with 2 more rounds of capacity and price.

I have an M&P9c and love it. I've shot friends' M&P45s and loved them too. I like shooting 1911s and it is a timeless design.

I plan to carry this weapon. I'd get a 4" M&P or a 5" steel 1911.

Should I catch up with the times and go with polymer or stay in a bygone era that I didn't even experience myself?

cinman14

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My 20yr old son has always enjoyed shooting my Beretta 9000s and has always claimed it as his first firearm when he turns 21..

I purchased a Springfield 1911 Commander earlier this year and finally talked him into shooting it a couple of months ago...

The Beretta now sits in the night stand when we go shooting..

He said the 1911 "just feels like a real gun"... Go figure..

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have both and can tell you that the 1911 is going to conceal a good bit better. But just as a general rule I'd say that the M&P is going to be more reliable in a CCW role than some of the more common 1911s. Something to consider.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 5in 1911 is hard for some to carry due to the size. I am very happy with my 1911.

I have no doubt that you can conceal a full size 1911. I remember going with you to Banner Road and seeing 3 firearms come off your person that I didn't know you had on you. Hip, pocket and ankle holster.

That being said I would go with the 1911 if you want a .45acp. I had the Springfield loaded px9109lp with trijicon night sights. It was by far my favorite pistol ever. I liked it better than my 9mm 1911, better than my xdm in 9mm, and better than my xdm in .40. Regretfully I sold it. For a full size 1911 with some bells and whistles but not having to take a second mortgage on the house to fund the gun, I would look into the Springfield. The only thing I would do to make it more conceal friendly would be to bobtail the grip frame.

I sure do miss her.

ai957.photobucket.com_albums_ae59_twssosa_1911004.jpg

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 1911 that's only $300-$400 more than an M&P 45 is probably not going to be reliable enough to depend on (with maybe one or two exceptions and the right deal at the right time).

If you get a 1911 that's less than reliable, there's no real issue if you take it to a gunsmith and have him make it reliable. Problem is, that starts adding up quickly.

saryan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The M&P 45,40, and 9mm is one of the smoothest shooting handguns I have ever fired. I am sold on them. Now a 1911 is a fantastic weapon but they can be very picky. Its hard to say anything negative about a 1911 without someone getting offended but as beautiful as they are they are not they most reliable weapon system out there. They can be built right and can run well, but it takes some $$. The mags can be picky. We have a member here that just bought a S&W M&P 45 full size and he CCW's it. IMO for your application I would go M&P. I can order any of those weapons here and if you want to come out and try a 1911 or two out we can do that.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can find a reliable 1911 at several price points and they conceal really well for me even in full size with the right holster. The M&P 45 I shot was a really nice shooter IMO but too big for me to carry.

saryan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can find a reliable 1911 at several price points and they conceal really well for me even in full size with the right holster. The M&P 45 I shot was a really nice shooter IMO but too big for me to carry.

I think its because they are so thin. Thats one thing I love about them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom