M&P45 vs 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently purchased the M&P45 and was very impressed with it's reliability and accuracy. It fed everything from 230 gr. FMJ's, 185 & 230 gr. JP's and 185 gr. LSWC's without a single malfunction in more than 300 rounds.
I use my S&W 945 for bullseye pistol a SA Trophy Match for some of the pistol games. The M&P45 was purchased for home defense and steel shoots. I have decided to get the Apex sear for the M&P45 and sell the SA trophy Match.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 1911 that's only $300-$400 more than an M&P 45 is probably not going to be reliable enough to depend on (with maybe one or two exceptions and the right deal at the right time).

If you get a 1911 that's less than reliable, there's no real issue if you take it to a gunsmith and have him make it reliable. Problem is, that starts adding up quickly.

I may have found the exception. Colt Combat Elite for less than $900, brand new in the box.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no doubt that you can conceal a full size 1911. I remember going with you to Banner Road and seeing 3 firearms come off your person that I didn't know you had on you. Hip, pocket and ankle holster.

That being said I would go with the 1911 if you want a .45acp. I had the Springfield loaded px9109lp with trijicon night sights. It was by far my favorite pistol ever. I liked it better than my 9mm 1911, better than my xdm in 9mm, and better than my xdm in .40. Regretfully I sold it. For a full size 1911 with some bells and whistles but not having to take a second mortgage on the house to fund the gun, I would look into the Springfield. The only thing I would do to make it more conceal friendly would be to bobtail the grip frame.

I sure do miss her.

Yeah, I used to carry a S&W 329 .44 mag all the time. I bet a full-size 1911 would be much easier than that.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can find a reliable 1911 at several price points and they conceal really well for me even in full size with the right holster. The M&P 45 I shot was a really nice shooter IMO but too big for me to carry.

That's good to hear about the concealment. The M&P45 is no shrimp, but I've carried bigger. Not that I want to carry something bigger than necessary...

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i carry the taurus 1911ar .45...it's the best gun i've owned. i feel it shoots way better than the colt 1911 i owned years ago. very reliable, very accurate and shoots anything i have put through it. built very well, no rattles. plus extra mags are only $10 at brigadoons

Latest posts

Top Bottom