M&P45 vs 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saryan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you carry a 1911 you must also think of this. You have to practice drawing and disabling the safety as part of the presentation process. Its not a deal breaker but it is something to consider. In a high stress situation you will revert back to the blueprint you built while on the range shooting or training. One of the reasons I got rid of my XDM is because of the rear safety. I found that there was a chance I could get a bad grip on the weapon and it not fire due to the grip safety. I dont like Murphy's Law so I got rid of it. If you practice enough with it (drawing from your concealed holster with an accelerated heart rate, not shooting groups at 15) then it will become second nature, which it has to be. The 1911 has a couple of things that have to be done to the weapon before it can be fired. Good luck and whatever you get....practice.

saryan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The wife has an M&P40 that we enjoy shooting. It goes bang every time without fail. I have 3 1911s. 2 Colts, a Defender and a MKIV Enhanced from the 90's(looks like a GC), and then a Kimber EclipseII fullsized. My Defender has been rock solid reliable with anything it has been fed. The Enhanced took an upgraded slidestop(old one chipped off) and one size longer barrel link to make it shoot. Slide rattles like a good Colt will and shoots good groups, rivaling the Kimber. The Kimber had one reliability issue, the slidestop was getting caught by bullets in the mag making the slide lock open prematurely. Small filing fixed that. Using Wilscon Combat 47D mags got rid of the occasional jam I did experience. Less then $100 on either of them total and they are reliable now. Right now I'm shooting 200gr lead SWC thru them on the light side. Lesson from this is, you dont have to blow $2k for reliability. A $500 used Colt can be made to shoot reliably if you address the actual problem or pitch some of the cheap MIM parts. Use the best mags, ie Wilson Combat. From that, your mileage may vary!

Big +1

bigbang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 20yr old son has always enjoyed shooting my Beretta 9000s and has always claimed it as his first firearm when he turns 21..

I purchased a Springfield 1911 Commander earlier this year and finally talked him into shooting it a couple of months ago...

The Beretta now sits in the night stand when we go shooting..

He said the 1911 "just feels like a real gun"... Go figure..

I believe your 20 year old son can legally own a hand gun if it is a gift from you. Good thing he waited to clam one.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoy shooting and handling 1911s. That said, I've seen enough of em choke in competition and in training classes, while Glocks, XDs and M&Ps kept going strong, that I personally would not carry a 1911-pattern gun in the year 2010 if I could get a quality modern striker gun instead.

If you want a real head-to-head comparison, have you considered the M&P 45 Compact? It's 8+1, like a 1911. It is a great size, bigger than the 9mm/.40 compacts, smaller than the full sized 9/.40 M&Ps. You can get all your fingers on the .45 Compact with either style of magazine floorplate, but it is still compact and weighs less than most lightweight 1911s. For me, the choice would be easy, but handle one and see what you think.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you are mechanically inclined and are not opposed to doing a bit of homework.... there's tons of how to documentation

there's something about a sweet 1911 that no other pistol comes close..

cinman14

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I believe your 20 year old son can legally own a hand gun if it is a gift from you. Good thing he waited to clam one.

Legal, yes... Ready, no... I told him a gun is like a car. You can legally drive one at 16 but you really can't appreciate and control one until after a few years of training...

He is patiently waiting until Nov... I have a feeling I will be needing another 1911... [Broken External Image]

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another option would be the new xdm in .45acp. I think it has a 13+1 capacity. Which is enough of a difference to truly consider it. 2 additonal is great, but 5 is all the better. Remember this comes from a guy who likes the xdm very much and intends to buy another.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another option would be the new xdm in .45acp. I think it has a 13+1 capacity. Which is enough of a difference to truly consider it. 2 additonal is great, but 5 is all the better. Remember this comes from a guy who likes the xdm very much and intends to buy another.

You also have gorilla hands and are almost seven feet tall.

Some of us (like me) have tweener-sized girl hands and have the frame to match, as long as we aren't talking about softball players.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You also have gorilla hands and are almost seven feet tall.

Some of us (like me) have tweener-sized girl hands and have the frame to match, as long as we aren't talking about softball players.

You stretched the truth a bit on that one. I am 10" shorter than 7'.

The xdm has interchangeable backstraps, problem solved.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've held the new XDM 45 and there's no way I'd carry that thing. I like my XDMs but they wouldn't work very well for IWB carry for me anyways. Springfield is retarded, they need to chop the XDM grip and keep the 3.8 size. Then they'd have a halfway decent carry size. I'd probably sell my glocks if they did this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom