Mcain agrees with Obama about changing stand your ground laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know. Its hard to know who would have been worse for 2A. With insane mccain, the RINOs would have passed "common sense gun legislation" like "closing the gun show loop hole" a long time ago, and registration would be the law of the land.
With the Bamster, at least the RINOs "united" against the common enemy, and haven't passed anything yet.
You may be right though, because IMHO, Obamacare is the greatest threat long-term to our liberties because of information collection and creation of databases, plus the linking of any kind of social engineering to "scientific studies on healthcare". For example, CDC studies on guns as a health hazard.

:)

There's no question that Obama would have been far worse for gun owners than McCain.

Their voting record proved it at the time of theelection.

McCain may have been a C or C+ at the time, but Obama was a solid F.

Also bear in mind that McCain wouldn't have appointed Eric Holder as his attorney general.

His VP was Sarah Palin, who is a staunch gun rights supporter.

Have you all already forgotten how much of an anti-gun stance Joe Biden took?

The GOP would not have allowed McCain to be a gun grabber such as Obama, as it would drive away a huge voter base away from the Republican Party.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The stand your ground laws in other states aren't perfect, and in states like Florida, they do in fact make murder1 legal under current self defense laws. A revision of some of these laws would be benificial [sic] to lawful gun owners and 2A rights as the low-life's would no longer be able to take advantage of them.

I'm sorry, would you please cite an example where these laws legalize first-degree (i.e. premeditated) murder? I've heard some bold claims, but this one seems to take the cake.

Jesse Pinkman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Instead we got Obama.

In Oklahoma, it was a choice between McCain and Obama.

McCain was not my first choice for the Republican candidate, but he'd better than having Obama for 8 years.

Oh yes. I didn't even bother to vote. What a waste of an election. I can't stand McCain. Mr. NSA. Mr. GWB II. It was obvious from the start Obama was going to thrash him, simply because Bush had brought the popularity of the Republican party to an all time low.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1) Without seeing individual conviction records, the "prior history" mentioned is innuendo. Arrests and accusations are free; convictions might be relevant. That strikes the first four of the five bullet points. The fifth is still shaky; just having "a criminal record" doesn't make them violent people. I'd be willing to bet that quite a few people on this board have something on their records.
2) Even if they were all hardened mafia hitmen, it wouldn't prove that, in the specific case at hand, it was anything but self defense. Perhaps it was offensive; that doesn't mean that the stand-your-ground law legalized it, it means that the investigating officer(s) failed to investigate properly.

Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a quick link googled on the phone in the middle of the lake lol. I can't locate the case/records at the moment of what I'm talking about murder1, but it'll come when I can remember. I was merely agreeing that the SYG laws aren't perfect, and should be for the sake of every law abiding citizen of this country. It's the abuse of the immunity it can permit to the lowest of criminals.

In January, a judge in Miami tossed out a second-degree murder charge against Greyston Garcia after he chased a suspected burglar for more than a block and stabbed him to death. The judge decided the stabbing was justified because the burglar had swung a bag of stolen car radios at Garcia – an object that a medical examiner at a hearing testified could cause “serious harm or death.” The judge found Garcia was “well within his rights to pursue the victim and demand the return of his property.”

Jackson Fleurimon had been arrested for battery, aggravated assault and drug possession. Witnesses said he was in a beef over drug turf when he shot and killed a man in Orange County in 2009. A judge granted him immunity.

• Tavarious China Smith was a drug dealer with multiple arrests who killed a man during an 2008 argument over drug territory in Manatee County. He claimed self-defense and went free. Less than three years later, he was back in front of prosecutors for a different homicide, this one the result of a shoot-out outside a nightclub. Smith once again went free by claiming stand your ground.

• In Tallahassee, Dervaunta Vaughn had been accused of battery at least six times before police arrested him in a gangland shoot-out that left one person dead in March 2009. After Vaughn invoked "stand your ground," prosecutors struck a plea deal that dropped murder charges and sent Vaughn to prison for eight years for illegally carrying a gun.

• Alexander Lopez-Lima's run-ins with the law began two days after his 15th birthday. His half-dozen arrests include battery, selling and possessing marijuana and attempted strong arm robbery, court records show. In 2011 a judge decided the then-18-year-old Lopez-Lima was standing his ground when he wound up in an armed battle and killed another teen who had come to his house to smoke marijuana.

• Norman Borden, a now-deceased West Palm Beach man, racked up arrests for criminal mischief, disorderly conduct and aggravated assault in the 1980s and '90s before he was acquitted of murder in the deaths of two men who threatened him with bats while he walked his dog.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always knew that Mcain was a liberal but this just proves it. We really need to be able to strip every senator we have of their power and get some new and fresh senators in there. They have completely forgotten their duty to the constitution and the BOR. Here is the story:

Sen. John McCain is backing President Barack Obama's call for the so-called "stand your ground" laws in Florida and other states to be reexamined in the wake of the George Zimmerman case.

"The 'stand your ground' law may be something that may needs to be reviewed by the Florida legislature or any other legislature that has passed such legislation," McCain said on CNN's "State of the Union" Sunday, two days after President Obama discussed Zimmerman's acquittal in the killing of Trayvon Martin.

The Arizona Republican said he thinks the self-defense law should be reviewed in his home state, too. "I'm confident that the members of the Arizona legislature will, because it is very controversial legislation," McCain said. Florida and Arizona are among 30 states with "stand your ground" laws on the books.

On Friday, Obama held a somber press conference at the White House to discuss the case, which is currently under review by the Justice Department for possible civil rights violations.

The president hinted that he didn't expect the review would lead to federal charges against Zimmerman.

"Traditionally, these are issues of state and local government, the criminal code, and law enforcement is traditionally done at the state and local levels—not at the federal level," Obama said. "The judge conducted the trial in a professional manner. The prosecution and the defense made their arguments. The jurors were properly instructed that in a case such as this reasonable doubt was relevant, and they rendered a verdict. And once the jury has spoken, that's how our system works."

But the commander in chief called for a review of the controversial "stand your ground" laws.

"And for those who resist that idea—that we should think about something like these 'stand your ground' laws—I just ask people to consider: If Trayvon Martin was of age and armed, could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk? And do we actually think that he would have been justified in shooting Mr. Zimmerman, who had followed him in a car, because he felt threatened?" the president said.

"What I got out of the president's statement, which I thought was very impressive, is that we need to have more conversation in America," he said. "I need to talk to more of my Hispanic organizations in my state. I need to talk to more African-American organizations."

McCain's support was in stark contrast to fellow GOP Sen. Ted Cruz's reaction to Obama's remarks.

“It is not surprising that the president uses, it seems, every opportunity that he can to go after our Second Amendment right to bear arms,” the Texas senator said Friday in Iowa. “This president and this administration has a consistent disregard for the Bill of Rights.”

I am ecstatic that this punk did not win in '08. Better to have an avowed enemy in the top spot than one working under cover as your friend.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yes. I didn't even bother to vote. What a waste of an election. I can't stand McCain. Mr. NSA. Mr. GWB II. It was obvious from the start Obama was going to thrash him, simply because Bush had brought the popularity of the Republican party to an all time low.

So you didn't vote on local issues as well.

Despite how people may feel about the Presidential candidates, there are numerous state elections and issues on the ballot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom