Mental illness... a common public danger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You said that Mental illness is a 'common public danger' and you also said that they simply didn't want care. I think that's incorrect, they just can't access it. But that's my opinion. I'm not trying to make any accusations, i'm sorry if i gave you that impression.

As someone with a relative who was institutionalized in the 60's and 70's, I can tell you the severely mentally ill, particularly those with schizophrenia or severe mania who are off meds, often believe there's nothing wrong with them, don't want help and view anyone who tries to help as a direct threat.

This is a pretty good read on deinstitutionalization.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/asylums/special/excerpt.html

It's been around since the mid 1950's. A prominent figure in the movement is Dr. Thomas S. Szasz, who argued throughout his career that mental illness is a metaphor for human problems in living, and that mental illnesses are not real in the sense that cancers are real.

Between the nanny state and anarchy, Szasz definitely erred on the side of anarchy. An avowed atheist, he still got in bed with the Church of Scientology to form the "Citizen's Commission on Human Rights. He also championed "right to death".

I've searched in vain for a couple of years now, but there was a semi-famous cause célèbre with the Hollywood/liberal set back in the 70's that was used to do away with forced institutionalization. It may have been Judi Chamberlin. Regardless, I read a poignant article by the woman's mother, who if the daughter was to be believed was a hugely destructive force in her life. She witnessed how the liberals against institutionalization used her mother as a weapon, which the mother reveled in. Meanwhile, her untreated schizophrenia nearly drove her daughter to suicide. It was heart wrenching to read and I recognized many of the issues I saw with my relative as a child. Scary times.

Every president from Kennedy to Reagan did things that undermined mental institutions and mental health treatment. Some as a result of closely held beliefs, some as a compromise used to gain ground on other issues and some to save budget money. In the end, both the left and the right are responsible for jails and homelessness being the primary "treatment" for the severely mentally ill in our society. No one owns the problem and no one wants to.

Googling Szasz and Chamberlin will lead to lots of links on deinstitutionalization and the various interests and organizations that made it happen. None of them have done anything to improve on moving them from in-patient facilities, to the jails and streets. As a result, many of the mass violence events committed by the mentally ill since the mid 80's, haven't had much of a chance to be prevented. :(

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think we may see a return of mental health facilities, I hope we do. As it is now the OK County jail fills that gap. Was it the late 80s mid 90s that we saw a large purging of mental health institutions? I think they put too much salt behind the effectiveness of modern psyc meds..

Today they put a guy on the psyc floor for a few days give him various meds, balance them out then discharge with a bag of pills.. then that guy goes back to his street corner, then someone steals his meds..or he feels better so he quits taking his meds..or simply never had the cognitive ability to manage a regular med routine. I can't tell you how often I forget my BP meds...

My neighbor has severe schizophrenia, he is a criminal even.. when he's on his meds. We have watched him beat his GF MMA ground and pound style in the front yard..we hear him yelling inside his home..and our local PD knows him by name..we just call the primary PD number and say his name.. they send 4 cars at minimum. his brother stayed with him for a while.. he was worse, he would stand in the front yard and have violent fights with an imaginary adversary..he would cuss them then sucker punch them and normally we could hear him stomping his feet into the yard..it looked as though he was skull stomping his imaginary person.. he was scary..we wondered what if he sees one of us as whomever he normally beats down.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A fair number of those individuals in county jails are mentals without a criminal cherry on top. Just simply mentals, sometimes off meds sometimes not. If in the the jail intake classification process they could be identified and either put in a special part of the jail or in a semi-secure treatment facility that would save tax dollars. Too often such a place, either in the jail or outside the walls, does not exist or is already full.

The mental hospitals of 50-100 years ago were stigmatized as "snake pits" and some were. Society reacted to this by swinging the front gates open, sending all but the most dangerous out into society. Some do okay on the fringes of society. Others are constantly into trouble.

This is NOT an easy issue to deal with. Locking all them away puts us back 50-100 years. If society would spend the time and resources SOME can be helped. It must realize that all cannot.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At one time, there were institutions for the mentally impaired & ill. These institutions were defunded and dismantled in the mid-80's.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the stress of work getting to you doc? You are starting to seem paranoid....Need some help?

Paranoid? How so? I was just pointing out that in a short jaunt downtown I saw multiple people who were obviously mentally disturbed in some way and were acting out in a manner that could have been threatening. Much like Ridge's experience in Denver, if you try to go about your business, someone like that can be set off by looking at them, by NOT looking at them, by walking too close, by skirting around them, or by crossing the street to avoid them. There is no right answer in how to deal with them. I wasn't afraid, I was simply cautious. Thought I'd share the experience. I know it's widespread, especially the larger the city. And for that I get accused of stereotyping homeless people and the mentally ill. lol

Pretty funny, really.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Paranoid? How so? I was just pointing out that in a short jaunt downtown I saw multiple people who were obviously mentally disturbed in some way and were acting out in a manner that could have been threatening. Much like Ridge's experience in Denver, if you try to go about your business, someone like that can be set off by looking at them, by NOT looking at them, by walking too close, by skirting around them, or by crossing the street to avoid them. There is no right answer in how to deal with them. I wasn't afraid, I was simply cautious. Thought I'd share the experience. I know it's widespread, especially the larger the city. And for that I get accused of stereotyping homeless people and the mentally ill. lol

Pretty funny, really.

One hardened rule I follow is; if a naked man asks you for a cigarette, GIVE IT TO HIM!

A mental patient in Norman killed his neighbor because he refused to give him a cigarette after he came to his door naked.

http://m.newsok.com/article/2538267

Just read some of the letters this guy has sent to the Judge over the past 10 years ...

http://www.oscn.net/applications/os...e=caseGeneral&casemasterID=13152&db=Cleveland

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom