MoneyGram Money orders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indpndt74

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I posted a surefire flashlight for sale on armslist . A guy contacted me from Indiana and offered me $150 for it plus 10 to ship it USPS priority 2 day mail. I advised him to send me a US postal money order but they sent a MoneyGram money instead order according to my wife.. Is there any way to tell if these things are fake? I haven't been home to see it yet.

Its not a big sum of money but it would irritate me to be out the item and get scammed over the net again ..

I heard that people call these checks in after you give the guy the tracking number as stolen and then it takes a few days for the check to bounce.

any thoughts? am I just being paranoid?!?

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apply heat to the money order. According to the Money Gram website, authentic money orders feature a heat reactive circle. The circle is found under the Purchaser's Address. Money Gram suggests that you touch the spot with your thumb. If the money order is real, the circle will change colors.

Locate the small-print message. Use a magnifying glass and look at the section of the money order that lists the amount. A message is present on authentic money orders that reads "MoneyGram Payment Systems," per the Money Gram website.

Contact Money Gram. Customer service can be reached at 800-666-3947.

mach1soldier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost a 100% guarantee it's a fake. Money gram is expensive compared to USPS money order. Makes no sense if legitimate to use them IMHO.

I wouldn't cash it personally. Does the return address on the mail match where you are supposed to send the surefire?

Wait a day or two and tell him you are waiting for it to clear. Tell him the bank said it takes ten days. Then see if he starts pressuring you to send it asap. Usually scammers want the item real quick before you realize the check is fake.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen some fakes that were so good Western Union wasn't sure if they were real or not. If in doubt send it back or tell him you'll ship in 30 days after its had time to clear or bounce

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They can't verify if it's real by phone. People buy one or several to get a valid number then wash them or print new using the same numbers. They can't verify till its in thier hands and even then it's kinda iffy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom