Morels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy says the soil temps need to be above 52F for morels to start growing. He checked temps yesterday. It won't be long. Temps are already high enough.

image-2117009446.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know what the correlation is, but our honey holes have elm trees either dead, or in the process of dying. Grass with buck brush in the area. At least around here, we don't find them in oak tree litter.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know what the correlation is, but our honey holes have elm trees either dead, or in the process of dying. Grass with buck brush in the area. At least around here, we don't find them in oak tree litter.

That would make an intersting study. We find them in the oak/cedar sandy ground. Everyone post up what kind of terrain/vegetation you find your morel's in, we'll see if we can find a pattern. Dennis, I may have the honey of hole of honey holes if they like the dead elms. 2 miles NNW of your spot, 12 acres of almost nothing but elms and dead elms. I've never thought to look there before.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My spots are on the high side of a creek bank, another spot is briar patch with some black locust trees. My newest spot is near an elm/briar/drainage ditch.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i have been hunting morels for 50 years either i am dumber then box of hammers but i have never been able to figure out some kind of correlation,i have found them in all kinds of differant habitat,one thing i have noticed if you find a good place and you get them all every time after about 3 years there won'nt be anymore i guess a guy to leave some for spores to spread

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if it was here or elsewhere, someone mentioned collecting them in a mesh bag, so you can shake and spread the spores out of them as you are picking them. Sounds logical. I have not hunted them since I was a kid, but remember finding them by the grocery sack full down along the creekbank. After Okie posted that pic, it made me want to go find some though. I'd slap my momma for that plate of food.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use mesh bags for that very reason.
I've seen two similarities so far.
Sandy loam soil. That's the dirt in my area.
How about everybody else? What's your soil like?

JustPlainStrange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Soil doesn't seem to matter at all, I even find them in rocks - dried up creekbeds (gravel). I think most of them that I find are around sycamore, dead elm or fruit trees. Sycamore lowlands ROCK! Morels are fungus and found in fungusy places.

Me and my daughter went out today, nothing. I did run across something of great concern, pigs had been rooting up everything. It looks like there will be a lot of competition this year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom