My new storm cellar installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about being trapped in your shelter, guys.

Odds of being hit by a tornado are low. Odds of being hit by a devastating tornado are even lower. Odds of your exit being blocked by debris are even lower than that. Odds of nobody freeing you from your underground shelter before you run into issues from being stuck down there are next to nothing. You're not gonna be in there for days.

You could run through hypotheticals all day long. If you can keep
debris from making direct contact with your face and/or piecing your vital organs, which is what kills people, then I wouldn't worry too much about being trapped, or fumes or whatevs.

I would worry about that old lady next door taking a whiz on yer leg, tho. Eww.

Ridge, It's quite obvious that you're insane and evidently have never watched Travis Meyer and his fateful warnings. Fools who don't prepare will not suffer lightly in this wind-swept, disaster prone corridor.

I, for one, am building an in-ground shelter INSIDE my safe room. Hell I might just put a floor safe in the bottom of it too!

Wait! Eff that... I'm going to put my whole house inside a big fawking safe room with an in-ground shelter that has a floor safe in it.

It's going to have indoor plumbing complete with one of those fancy no-water urinals like they have at the fairgrounds, a backup generator, 32 days supply of Frosted Flakes, cat food, 6 Life Straws (one for each of us + a backup) and the complete Sanford & Son series on DVD.

You've been warned Ridgehunter... pay heed or you'll be buried alive with nothing but old lady pee as sustenance.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the Shelter. I had it installed before I tiled the garage so that it had a better "seal" and it stays pretty clean. You can also get a magnetic cover for it...

i29.photobucket.com_albums_c253_jasondcunningham_May2009106.jpg

oufan24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a garage Stormsafe installed a few months ago. The shelter is top quality and the installers were great. BUT I would not trust them to report the location. The management SUCKS!!

I had a state fair price and contract in hand on install day, then after install they had a contract with my name on it but $400 more!! Then they apparently didn't show that I already had it installed and a few months later showed up to install another! Everytime I called they were clueless about install dates etc.

Ground Zero

100% agree on this statement. Ground Zero is installing ours on 3-6. I picked theirs because of the quality & the model we picked is 1' longer for the same price. But as far as their customer service, it's horrible. Good luck getting anybody to call you back. The only way you can talk to somebody is if they happen to answer the phone. They have called me twice to confirm a install date for the next day, of which I never had that install date. Glad to hear the installation & everything was great, but their office people need to take some customer service lessons from HMFIC!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about being trapped in your shelter, guys.

Odds of being hit by a tornado are low. Odds of being hit by a devastating tornado are even lower. Odds of your exit being blocked by debris are even lower than that. Odds of nobody freeing you from your underground shelter before you run into issues from being stuck down there are next to nothing. You're not gonna be in there for days.

You could run through hypotheticals all day long. If you can keep
debris from making direct contact with your face and/or piecing your vital organs, which is what kills people, then I wouldn't worry too much about being trapped, or fumes or whatevs.

I would worry about that old lady next door taking a whiz on yer leg, tho. Eww.

OK, I'm changing my position now. Travis Meyer came to me in a dream last night and admitted that he's full of it. It was sad, seeing him like that all broken and weeping, but nonetheless...

Now, my toranado preparedness plan is simple yet effective. I'm going to build a Stormtrooper Samurai outfit to combat flying debris and zip tie myself to the nearest gas pipe a-la-"twister". I figure if I add a Camelbak, then I can curse the wind for up to 26 hours if need be. The armor has the added benefit of internal whiz containment.

i222.photobucket.com_albums_dd84_Afroman137_SamuraiStormtrooper.jpg

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I'm changing my position now. Travis Meyer came to me in a dream last night and admitted that he's full of it. It was sad, seeing him like that all broken and weeping, but nonetheless...

Now, my toranado preparedness plan is simple yet effective. I'm going to build a Stormtrooper Samurai outfit to combat flying debris and zip tie myself to the nearest gas pipe a-la-"twister". I figure if I add a Camelbak, then I can curse the wind for up to 26 hours if need be. The armor has the added benefit of internal whiz containment.

i222.photobucket.com_albums_dd84_Afroman137_SamuraiStormtrooper.jpg
:pms2::pms2:

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how many people actually have a 2 meter hand held ham radio...

Two ways the 2 meter can get you into trouble there:

1: You're going to have to wait for all of the old farts to finish talking about their medical problems and tomato plants before they'll let you call for help anyways.

2: You'll get a hold of some ARES whackers who will drive right over with flashy orange lights on top of their cars to get you out. However, your shelter won't be able to support a dozen 500lb men standing on top of it and will collapse.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Dude, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

They strapped themselves to a WATER line in Twister, not a GAS line. :rolleyes2

Latest posts

Top Bottom