Need grass ideas and recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so it's been a long three months and we are almost done with building our house. It is now time to select our lawn turf and I have no idea what works best up here since in Texas I always had St Augustine. I tried zoysia and failed.

-We are in the country in Wagoner county between Coweta and Wagoner
-looking for low water consumption
-hardy for summer and winter
-low maintenance, on 13 acres I have more to do than pull weeds
-easy and inexpensive to put down

Any ideas or thoughts for us? I know there a ton of sod farms south of us, but don't know what they are growing or if it will work for our parameters.
Only planting about .25-.5 of an acre's worth of grass.
Thanks for the help.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Zoysa and Bermuda work well in the sun, Fescue requires much more water in the heat of the summer. There are some great Bermuda grasses; my neighbor has one that was developed at Oklahoma State and it is gorgeous. Unfortunately I don't know the name but I'm sure you can find one.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to plant hay pasture for my last place... and seeded the finished yard at the house with the same stuff.

Worked great. Sprouted, held the dirt and after a couple of years of regular mowing and care we scarfed it up a bit and over- seeded some fescue .

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really know much about grass, but I bought a blend of grasses at my local True Value that was "formulated" for Tulsa and it works really well. You might at least have a look there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom