Need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptnhowdy138

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked up the lyman 49th edition today. I am reading this and it says never pick up range brass. I see a lot of people doing this at the range.Are they picking up the brass they brought or just any brass? Is it a safe to pick up range brass or buy once fired? Or should I stay away from doing that b.c this book says so?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been shooting range brass all of my reloading life that started in the early 80's. Rifle and pistol. Inspecting your brass is one of the stages of reloading.
Never had a case separation, or split. If there is any doubt, the round gets thrown into the salvage bucket.

Straight walled pistol brass almost never has any issues. I can't think of less than a dozen I've picked up that had a split case over the years.
Rifle brass is a little different animal. Since the brass gets worked in the dies a lot, they have a shorter case life.

I'm betting Lyman is saying that as a CYA measure, so somebody that has a brass issue can't come back and say it was their fault.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Dennis. The issue now is if you shoot at some ranges there will be a lot of steel cased .223 and maybe other calibers like the AK cases and maybe .308 or other military cases. Some will have Berdan primers. After you've been loading for a while you can wade through picking up the good stuff and just throw away any junk when you get home. It's great if you can hook up with an oldtimer to walk you through the process.

Cedar Creek

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those books say a lot of CYA stuff and a lot of loads are CYA loads. Look at the 45 colt.
There are loads then there are Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk loads in 45 colt that would destroy other guns.

That is possibly why reading more than 1 manual is a benefit.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I load some revolver cartridges, but I'm mainly a rifleman. It seems like a lot of shooters who get into reloading look to see how fast they can make it go, like I did "back in the day". I still lean that way a little with bolt-action varmint rifles, but the most beneficial aspect of reloading for me is being able to do lots of different things with a rifle. You can tailor a load for your purposes, like this fall I will have a Ruger American Compact .308 set up with a fairly low power scope for hunting in the woods in SW Oklahoma. My load will be a 170 grain .30-30 bullet with a thinner jacket loaded to about 2300-2400 fps with IMR 4895 powder. I've used this load before in a Winchester 100 semi-auto and it is very effective on whitetail deer. I also use another Ruger American as my "loafing rifle" when I go walking in our woods with my little dog. I load it with a 100 grain bullet over TrailBoss powder at aboout 1200-1300 fps to shoot armadillos or coyote if needed. I like a quieter load because the dog is a little gun shy. So - I guess I'm saying that reloading is a lot more than just trying to save a buck or make a bullet go faster than a factory load. It's just a lot of fun and after 40+ years I'm still finding new ways to utilize the stuff I've picked up along the way.

Cedar Creek

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I load some revolver cartridges, but I'm mainly a rifleman. It seems like a lot of shooters who get into reloading look to see how fast they can make it go, like I did "back in the day". I still lean that way a little with bolt-action varmint rifles, but the most beneficial aspect of reloading for me is being able to do lots of different things with a rifle. You can tailor a load for your purposes, like this fall I will have a Ruger American Compact .308 set up with a fairly low power scope for hunting in the woods in SW Oklahoma. My load will be a 170 grain .30-30 bullet with a thinner jacket loaded to about 2300-2400 fps with IMR 4895 powder. I've used this load before in a Winchester 100 semi-auto and it is very effective on whitetail deer. I also use another Ruger American as my "loafing rifle" when I go walking in our woods with my little dog. I load it with a 100 grain bullet over TrailBoss powder at aboout 1200-1300 fps to shoot armadillos or coyote if needed. I like a quieter load because the dog is a little gun shy. So - I guess I'm saying that reloading is a lot more than just trying to save a buck or make a bullet go faster than a factory load. It's just a lot of fun and after 40+ years I'm still finding new ways to utilize the stuff I've picked up along the way.

Cedar Creek

Cedar sums it up very well. Tailoring ammo to your needs gives you options that commercial ammo never will.

lobowolf761

New to the site!
Reaction score
That's very true. I reload each batch of ammo according to what it's being used for. Hunting, plinking,long range target or custom requests from a few people I know. Just remember that the fastest bullet isn't always the most accurate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom