Needing a shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slamfire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
I got this Winchester pump at a pawn shop for around $200 bucks.
Good deals on used guns are out there.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Charles Daly semi-auto now. It shoots great but sucks to reload. I've sent it back to the factory once and have no idea what or if they did anything about it because it's exactly the same. The lip of the shells seems to hang up before they get all the way into the tube so you have to mash HARD, usually repeatedly before the shell will go all the way in and the spring your're pressing against is very stiff. Otherwise has worked flawlessly.

Reaction score
First of all, don't get one, get two or three (or 4), and dedicate them to their uses. Shotguns are relatively cheap. 18" 12 ga for home defense (either 2.75 or 3.0"). Lightweight 26" 20 ga or 28 ga for upland bird wingshooting (2.75" or 3.0"). 26 or 28" 12 ga (3.0" or 3.5") for waterfowl wingshooting and turkeys. Or maybe also get a 4th dedicated turkey gun with 20-22" bbl, 12 ga (3.0"), and x-full choke. That's what I've done, anyhow, with a couple extra for good measure in combo guns.

If you MUST get just one, get a 22" auto, with interchangeable choke tubes. You'll need a plug for waterfowl and upland game hunting.

Secondly, you do NOT lose any real speed with a pump, because you're pumping WHILE you're recovering from recoil, which you have to do anyway with an auto. However, the really good REASON to go with an auto over a pump, is simply less recoil, not speed. IMO. Tiny bit of speed, sure - tiny. But mostly felt recoil reduction. That's why I like autos in 12 ga, particularly for a goose or turkey gun with heavy loads. In a 20 ga or 28 ga upland bird gun, with 2.75 shells, recoil is not as much, so I did both pumps and autos for this use.

Just my .02.

trade_sniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to have a Benelli M1 or M2, but all the tactical versions have an 18" barrel and I'd need something longer for hunting. How much are the barrels if I wanted a 26" for hunting and an 18" for tactical use?

mspaeth53

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking for a shotgun a couple of weeks ago, thought about a moseberg or a remington. Went to academy on 41st and looked at both. I was out the door with a remington 870 for $280 + tax. The good thing about the 870 is that there are extra parts available for it to contomize it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom