Neighbors and new fence build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I did mine several years ago one neighbor offered, the other didn't.

I would never tell the neighbor that offered how much so one day I came home and there was a cashiers check in the mailbox for WAY more than the fence. I took it back, he told me unless I gave him a number that the check was his contribution.

I figured up the material cost and let him cover 1/2 of that.

I always put the pretty side towards my property, have no reason to spend the time and money on building a fence to look at the ugly side.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's rude and un-neighborly to NOT split or at least kick in for a fence replacement or repair. None of my neighbors would even have to ask. I'd be offering before they could ask me. :)

My back fence is shared with 5 different neighbors. Lol

I split the cost of one section of fence with one of my neighbors. Then helped him do the work. It's a great looking fence.

I had another section fall down. Posts rotted and I lost some planks. Smooth side faces my yard. I went next door and kindly asked if she would like to kick in for any amount of the fence and I would handle the labor. She flatly refused stating that its not her responsibility. So, I went and bought some new posts and reused and patched the existing panels. Since the smooth side faces my yard, it looks pretty good. Her side however looks terrible. I just butchered her side with posts places wherever and I left the rotted ones in place. That's what she gets for being a Bizzle! Lol

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's rude and un-neighborly to NOT split or at least kick in for a fence replacement or repair. None of my neighbors would even have to ask. I'd be offering before they could ask me. :)

My back fence is shared with 5 different neighbors. Lol

I split the cost of one section of fence with one of my neighbors. Then helped him do the work. It's a great looking fence.

I had another section fall down. Posts rotted and I lost some planks. Smooth side faces my yard. I went next door and kindly asked if she would like to kick in for any amount of the fence and I would handle the labor. She flatly refused stating that its not her responsibility. So, I went and bought some new posts and reused and patched the existing panels. Since the smooth side faces my yard, it looks pretty good. Her side however looks terrible. I just butchered her side with posts places wherever and I left the rotted ones in place. That's what she gets for being a Bizzle! Lol
lol you coulda painted something on her side to.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My neighbors are unfenced on one side and chain link on the other, so I don't ask or expect anything when it comes to maintaining my privacy fence. If either or both had privacy fence I'd definitely talk with them to see what their thoughts are but I have really nice neighbors on both sides too.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, the neighborly thing to do would be to split the cost. Depending on the neighbor, this may not happen. A renter is definitely NOT going to feel obligated to share.

I lived in a neighborhood that the builder had put chain link fence at the houses that requested a fence. After 4 -5 years, my neighbor to the east informed she wanted a privacy fence. I offered to pay half for the side section between us. She offered to pay for it all, if I would put it up. I agreed. I decided to finish my yard and informed the neighbor to the west, who had no fence at all. He declined and not gracefully. I put the west side fence up 6" inside my property line. A week later the jackass decides to put a fence up at 7am. He wasn't real happy when he was informed that he would not be tying onto MY fence and the 6" gap (my property)was a real convenience for his dog. After a month, his wife came over and offered to pay to share the fence. I told her the honest cost of the section and that I expected her husband to be there Saturday morning to move the fence to the property line.The jackass never showed would never speak.

Nifrost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would personally offer... say, you are planning on putting a fence up and just wanted to tell them. You were planning on paying for it, as well, but the finished side would be facing your house. If they would like to split the cost, then you could discuss different finishing options, like alternating pickets or double-sided finished, or whatever.

Give 'em the option, but present it as a courtesy, not an expectation.

Good advice ^^^

Latest posts

Top Bottom