Nissan Armada or Ford Expedition?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have had 2 Expeditions and no Nissans. The Expeditions were purchased consecutively. The first was a 2002 the second is a 2010. Before we purchased the second we looked at everything in western Ok. from Escalades to Navigators to Tahoes. We picked the Expedition because it suited us the best.

I wish we had gone with the cng package too.

Last edited:

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Nissan, but my 1998 Expedition has 302,000 miles on the clock, and I've never been inside the engine or transmission. 5.4 with 4x4 and it's not babied. It works every day in the towing and recovery business. I do a TON of service calls in this car. Averages 12 in town and 14-16 hwy depending if I go 68mph or 78mph. Only problems I've had have been with power windows and locks. Oh, and the compass has been stuck on NW for years.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've driven several Nissans over the years and they were all very reliable and well built. But every single one of them were disappointing in the gas mileage dept. Nissan Frontier 4X4, Nissan Pathfinder 4X4 and the little Nissan pickup with the 4 cyl (KA24?), yes even this one only got 22-24 on the highway, but the engine was bulletproof. That seems to be my experience with Nissan.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have owned the Infiniti QX56, which is essentially a rebadged Armada, and has the same motor. It is a gas hog. Best I ever saw was 14 mpg. I beat that in my old Ford Expedition with 293,000 on it. I traded the Armada when it hit 100,000. At that time, the sensors for the transmission were going out - tranny was fine, but idiot lights would stay on, hundreds to fix it. Headlights are close to $1000 if one gets cracked, etc.

Ford gets my vote: Better on gas, cheaper to repair if it needs it, and despite the bias towards thinking the import will outlast it, this is not 1987 - these Fords will last. I have put 300k on one, have one right now with 293,000 on it, and my newest baby is another Ford 2012 F150, its only sitting at 13k, but hey, didnt buy it til August... LOL.

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only vehicle I ever purchased brand new off the lot was a 03 Expedition. Absolute lemon of a vehicle.

Got rid of it when it only had 35,000 miles.

1. Burned valves, replaced 1 head at 25K.
2. Constantly replaced coil packs.
3. Front end steering/suspension components replaced at 20K, and it was in need of attention again when it was traded.
4. Various engine sensor issues were common.

I've had many Ford products, and still have them with good luck but this Expedition was a nightmare for me.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aside from reliability you might also look into the difference in their 4x4 systems. I realized when comparing the Lincoln Navigator to the Lexus GX460 that the Lexus had a far superior 4x4 capability. Seems the QX56 had the same locking diffs as well. The Lincoln had a slipping front diff which amounts to a 3 wheel drive based on my research. I chose Lexus over the lincoln or the Caddy for that matter. Might look into that it that is a concern of yours.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
flip a coin when it comes to used

but i'd go with whichever you have a dealership/service that you know is close to you and can trust if possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom