Norman Police Training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good for them. I live in Norman, and I'm glad to hear they're going to do it right. I'll try to attend the meeting on the 29th and report back what happens.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will these plans be made public? Surely the reporters asked what they were and requested copies.
From TFA:
They will also hold a public forum on Oct. 29 at 6:30 p.m. in the Norman City Council chambers to answer any questions about the law and to outline the department's responses to open carry-related calls for service.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They will also hold a public forum on Oct. 29 at 6:30 p.m. in the Norman City Council chambers to answer any questions about the law and to outline the department's responses to open carry-related calls for service.
Understood but was wondering if the full content of the departments policy would be published. Its one thing to go to a presentation and asking a few questions. Its another to be able to read every word of the policy behind the presentation.
Its like the difference between coming to this forum and reading and asking about the Okla carry law and getting your own full copy of the law and studying it in detail.

Michael

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know from speaking with a high ranking officer in my area that they have already discussed how to handle these situations. Their main concern is the people we see on the internet trying to bait police officers. He explained to me that the dispatcher will take the call and assess the situation but asking the caller questions to identify what is going on. They are going to try and educate the caller that carry in the open is not a crime. If the caller is persistent, they will have an officer respond. The officer will attempt to make contact with the carrier and request to see their license. If the carrier doesn't want to provide the information they are to just inform the carrier that they are receiving calls but not further interaction wll be necessary and they will move onto the next call. They have showed the videos to the officers of the baiting that these individuals try to do.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Understood but was wondering if the full content of the departments policy would be published. Its one thing to go to a presentation and asking a few questions. Its another to be able to read every word of the policy behind the presentation.
I intend to ask for copies of the full content at the meeting. If I am turned down, I have already prepared an Open Records Act request. Given that they're being this open about it up front, I'm hopeful that they'll be forthcoming without the formality.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update:

I attended the meeting this evening. I was a few minutes late, but I don't think I missed anything substantive. The meeting was well-attended, with all seats filled and quite a few people standing. Norman PD Capt. Mark Braley was the primary speaker; I didn't catch the names of the other PD representatives. I found Capt. Braley's explanation of the City's position open, direct, and entirely reasonable; I even made the comment that it definitely sounded "more like Oklahoma than Massachusetts." Capt. Braley definitely seemed to be favorable toward citizens' right to carry, whether openly or concealed, and even seemed at times to be a bit more generous than the law strictly allows (one question in general concerned an exposed gun in a pocket holster, to which the captain said "I consider that to be a holster," despite not being a "belt or shoulder holster" as defined in the statute). He did decline to answer a few questions, properly (in my opinion): they concerned matters outside of Norman PD jurisdiction--mostly at OU--and were therefore not properly directed toward him. I did ask for the training documentation that the department provided to its officers; Capt. Braley took my e-mail address. I did not deliver the Open Records Act request that I had prepared; I don't think it will be necessary.

All in all, I thought it was very aboveboard and well-handled. Kudos to the Norman PD for getting out in front of the situation and demonstrating that it wants to work with the community as partners.

Latest posts

Top Bottom