Official Bob cat thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got several trail camera pics of them this year . . . hoping to get a shot at the big guy I posted a picture of in the trail camera pics thread.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Skin one of them and see a meat color of boneless skinless chicken thigh and then the mind
goes into cook/eat mode.

I will say it is one of the best flavor meats in the woods.
If anything tastes like chicken it is the Bob Cat.
I will say water turkey is not good eating at all.

@swampratt be like
unnamed.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny story.
My son has an Asian friend and his friend went back to his homeland to visit grandparents.
When he returned he had with him somedried dog meat.
Jerky we call it.
Anyway my son came home from school and told me he had ate dog jerky and it was good.
I am not kidding this is true and I began to tear up a bit and knew-- That's My Boy.

I got to try some and it is no different than any other jerky.

Bobcat meat does NOT need soaked in anything to remove any off flavors as there are none.
Coyote on the other hand is very strong if you cut it off the animal and immediately cook it.
That critter needs soaked to remove the blood from the meat to make it decent.

You asked for it posting that. :)

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I caught one with my bare hands a few years ago. Well, I was wearing gloves. But I used my hands. And it was alive. Lol. I’ll have to look and see if I still have a pic floating around somewhere.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny story.
My son has an Asian friend and his friend went back to his homeland to visit grandparents.
When he returned he had with him somedried dog meat.
Jerky we call it.
Anyway my son came home from school and told me he had ate dog jerky and it was good.
I am not kidding this is true and I began to tear up a bit and knew-- That's My Boy.

I got to try some and it is no different than any other jerky.

Bobcat meat does NOT need soaked in anything to remove any off flavors as there are none.
Coyote on the other hand is very strong if you cut it off the animal and immediately cook it.
That critter needs soaked to remove the blood from the meat to make it decent.

You asked for it posting that. :)
When I was stationed in the Army in Korea, dog was a preferred source of protein.
I'm sure I've ate it in the local markets we toured. When the olympics were held in Korea later on, the government asked the citizens to quit the practice of eating dogs so the visitors would not be offended.

The citizens pretty much gave them the middle finger.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Skin one of them and see a meat color of boneless skinless chicken thigh and then the mind
goes into cook/eat mode.

I will say it is one of the best flavor meats in the woods.
If anything tastes like chicken it is the Bob Cat.

Gotta believe this.^^^
One of my cousins last year shot a bobcat & wasn't sure what to do at first. He didn't want to spend the money necessary to get it stuffed & mounted.
One of our uncles said to eat it. Cousin got this weird look on his face. But his dad helped him skin it & process the meat off it. He said it was that bad getting that part of the process taken care of.
After they ate everything,
Uncle asked how it was, & my cousin said that the bobcat population isn't high enough, he wants more of them. Very succulent meat.

I've never had the opportunity to try bobcat, but would if I was given the chance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom