OG&E Smarthours anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been on smart hours for a few months now. There was a couple of critical days a few weeks ago that were like 50 cents per kwh. I just basically turned everything off during that time. No big deal. My bill this time last year was $205. This year, my bill for the same period was $109. Now, it hasn't been as hot as last year, but I am actively thinking about ways to cut power. It's like a game. So, obviously, the biggest savings on this plan is your own drive to try and cut power, not really the rates. The biggest change I have made is I keep the house at 77 degrees instead of 74 or 73 like I did last year. If I get hot, I switch on a ceiling fan or oscillating fan.

One last thing, I have not had them install my free thermostat yet. From what I am hearing in this thread, it sounds like a POS? Should I just forget that one and get my own from Home Depot?

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, my SmartHours thermostat has had a big X in the upper left hand corner ever since it got installed.

Call OG&E, this means it isn't communicating with your meter. You should see bars, just like on your phone.

The only impact is that you won't get your price notifications via your thermostat and you won't be able to let it dynamically alter the temp based upon price.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been on smart hours for a few months now. There was a couple of critical days a few weeks ago that were like 50 cents per kwh. I just basically turned everything off during that time. No big deal. My bill this time last year was $205. This year, my bill for the same period was $109. Now, it hasn't been as hot as last year, but I am actively thinking about ways to cut power. It's like a game. So, obviously, the biggest savings on this plan is your own drive to try and cut power, not really the rates. The biggest change I have made is I keep the house at 77 degrees instead of 74 or 73 like I did last year. If I get hot, I switch on a ceiling fan or oscillating fan.

One last thing, I have not had them install my free thermostat yet. From what I am hearing in this thread, it sounds like a POS? Should I just forget that one and get my own from Home Depot?

Thanks for the info. I keep mine at 75 except for peak and then it goes to 78. I also turn everything I can off at 2:00.
I won't be getting their thermostat, I just had a new HVAC system installed and it has a pretty killer one on it with a wireless remote.

Hey Zombie, I work from home too. But I get to set my hours, I'm even working now. By 2:00 I'm shutting everything down.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I would recommend getting a programmable thermostat of your choice with the features you desire. The only thing you will miss is the dynamic control of thermostat settings based on the price signal and the ability for your thermostat to receive the price signal. You can still get notification through email or text messages so you will still get notified of the pricing.

The thermostat OG&E provides does work and has some really nice features. My main complaint was the thermostat tries to control the temperature in your house to exactly the number it is set on. So when I had my thermostat set to 75, the thermostat would kick the AC on at 75.2 (yes it does supposedly read tenths of a degree) and kicks off the AC at 74.5 degrees. As you see this can cause excessive cycling on your AC system. So I switched to a programmable thermostat that will allow me to setup precooling before price increase and stop when the price increase happens during the day. Then I just set the thermostat high enough the AC barely runs during 2-7 time frame.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plugged my 'lectric bills and kWh into excel since 01/01/09. Have averaged .10 -.12 per kWh until my last two bills. .07 per kWh. I'd say it's working. And my usage was 100kWh higher last time because of the stupid t-stat they gave me. It would have been worse had I not swapped it back to my original programmable.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we had damn near everything off during the critical period today, and AC up to 85.

we basically keep our house at 78-80 during the day. works out pretty well

Latest posts

Top Bottom