OG&E Smarthours anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super_soph198

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looked at last year versus this year, Last year not on program and my bill was 200 for roughly the same KWH. This year the same time period will be 104. I had the thermostat but it was worse than the digital I had before, I called them and they came and took it without any hassle as well as reconnected my old thermostat and calibrated it. The program is good, the thermostat sucks.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm. My bills have been quite a bit lower this year. Haven't really considered this program, but you guys are making it sound interesting. So without the thermostat they provide, you are still in sole control of your consumption? For you pros, what do you do to "turn everything off" while at work during peak hours, other than use a programmable thermo? How do things like UPSs and maybe one always-on PC / server affect whether this would be a good choice?

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm. My bills have been quite a bit lower this year. Haven't really considered this program, but you guys are making it sound interesting. So without the thermostat they provide, you are still in sole control of your consumption? For you pros, what do you do to "turn everything off" while at work during peak hours, other than use a programmable thermo? How do things like UPSs and maybe one always-on PC / server affect whether this would be a good choice?

Yes you are still in control. They only bill you at 4.5 cents per kWh on non-peak hours. If you can cut way back from 2-7:00PM you can save a bunch. The 2-7:00PM peak period (weekdays only) is normally 11.3 cents but can go up like today. They also email or text you what tomorrow's rate will be so you can plan.

Super_soph198

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's pretty basic, We really haven't changed what we do except I turned down the water heater, we don't cook or use the dryer during peak hours, and I have turned into my dad walking around the house turning off lights. Still don't understand with a bright sunny day, windows open at 12 pm why my wife needs a light on. But we are consitently at the better than efficient ratings. I have my thermostat raised from 2-7 and that is about it.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you've got an electric hot water heater, I'd recommend buying a hot-water timer.
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-WH...id=1342847826&sr=8-3&keywords=how+water+timer

I set mine to turn off during peak hours. But you'll still have plenty of hot-water to get thru the peak-period.
When the hot water heaters turn on, they use a lot of juice - and you'd never know.
(... of course, 'on-demand' heaters excluded)

Latest posts

Top Bottom