Oil Subsidies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
don't put words in my mouth!

at no time did I state oil companies are evil.... I would do the exact same thing if I was in their shoes. which is to squeeze the absolute max profits from everyone and milk the US tax system to the max extend possible.

who I blame for the mess is the politicians that allowed these MEGA Giants to merge, to create MEGA multi-nationals. who's influence span countries. with resources the size to small countries. these mega giants have an effective monopoly within geographic regions they control. they own well head to retail filling stations.... no collusion/price fixing needed. they simply change prices at will.

all I'm doing is stating FACTS on the ground. events that has already happened. the FACT that oil companies are the MOST profitable companies on the face of the earth should point out the obvious... evidently folks can get whacked in the head and still not get it.

NO one wants to lose $$$ billions of dollars in benefits from US taxpayers. this includes Oil companies which are not the only MEGA corporate to be on the government teat. just that Oil companies are the most profitable of the entire bunch.

Indeed. RidgeHunter pontificates on the economy for _CY_:

1. The economy, as it's presented to us, is fake.

2. I thoroughly believe that large corporations and their buddies the government are evil, I just refuse to believe that "Big Oil" is inherently more evil than any other large industry, and that they are responsible for every wrong since Jesus died.

3. If your economy can be rocked by price fluctuations of a non-renewable, limited resource with a decades long history of instability, your economy sucked in the first place.

4. Sadly, since none of us have our "screw you money", we are forced to suckle at the teat of big business. Deal with it. Here in Oklahoma, especially in Tulsa, it's the oil and natural gas industry. It really cracks me up when I hear a Tulsan bitching about the oil and gas industry. Our entire local economy has historically, and still is, based around the petroleum industry. If you participate in any economic activity in Oklahoma, you are in the oil business. It's literally all we have (besides airplanes), and it's all that has kept our economic head above water time and time again.

pull your head out of the sand!
anyone that believes below needs to open their eyes.

first off, the way America is laid out, it's be very difficult to keep a job without a motorize vehicle of some type.

even if one sold off their car and rode a bike... everyone has to buy groceries... which are trucked to the store.... NO one can get away from effects of higher fuel prices!!! period!!!

I agree. Like I once heard a man say. If you beatch about oil, Don't drive a car. If you drive a car, STFU and buy a bicycle.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Politics seems to trump all (unfortunately) and oil makes a convenient whipping boy because most everyone buys gasoline and is unhappy about the price. In addition, the hard left wants to see gasoline and other oil-based fuels go away so we can enter Ecotopia. Truth matters not. You folks are wasting your time with your graphs and other facts.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Politics seems to trump all (unfortunately) and oil makes a convenient whipping boy because most everyone buys gasoline and is unhappy about the price. In addition, the hard left wants to see gasoline and other oil-based fuels go away so we can enter Ecotopia. Truth matters not. You folks are wasting your time with your graphs and other facts.

Well said. The oil companies are the strawman for the left because they refuse to admit the government (both political parties) screwed up and screwed the economy, and that the current admin has just made things worse.

Truth is, the original post is correct. You can Google "oil subsidies" and see for yourself. From CNN to Forbes they all say the same thing with the same figures. And yes the US did loan the Brazilian oil company the money, or I should say loan guarantees which is the same thing. At least it is when it comes to every one of them the left does not like.

Now if someone wants to post links to information from a reputable site, I will be more then happy to look at it.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
don't put words in my mouth!

at no time did I state oil companies are evil.... I would do the exact same thing if I was in their shoes. which is to squeeze the absolute max profits from everyone and milk the US tax system to the max extend possible.

who I blame for the mess is the politicians that allowed these MEGA Giants to merge, to create MEGA multi-nationals. who's influence span countries. with resources the size to small countries. these mega giants have an effective monopoly within geographic regions they control. they own well head to retail filling stations.... no collusion/price fixing needed. they simply change prices at will.

all I'm doing is stating FACTS on the ground. events that has already happened. the FACT that oil companies are the MOST profitable companies on the face of the earth should point out the obvious... evidently folks can get whacked in the head and still not get it.

NO one wants to lose $$$ billions of dollars in benefits from US taxpayers. this includes Oil companies which are not the only MEGA corporate to be on the government teat. just that Oil companies are the most profitable of the entire bunch.

Politics and big business are one and the same. He who has the gold makes the rules, and that ain't no jive.

You're absolutely correct petroleum has a large effect on the economy. What you're missing is that it's inevitable. Do you think cheap oil was gonna last forever? Again, the whole exponential growth in a finite world deal. Sure some of the reasons might be manufactured, but even if they weren't sheet is gonna come to a head in relatively short amount of time for reasons that ain't manufactured. Oil is a limited resource, cheap and easily accessible oil is an even more limited resource. You can postpone it all you want, but the fact is it's gonna get scarce, it's gonna get expensive or it's gonna get both. No real change will happen until it's no longer feasible to depend on oil and use it like we do. As long as we can, we will. As long as we buy it, they will sell it.

You've said repeatedly the oil companies are the primary cause of the recession. That's like when people count 90 year hospital dwellers as "flu deaths". The flu didn't kill great-grandpa, it just showed death where he's been hiding for the last 35 years.

Sure some of it smells of monopoly, but so does every big corporation. At least big oil gives us domestic manufacturing and office jobs that pay decent, a redeeming quality that can't be said for other giants (retail?). Again that brings me to the fact that without big oil Oklahoma would be up crude creek without a barrel. Like it or not.

Dale00 is right. It's the number one economic ***** because everyone buys gas and it's in your face every day. For some reason people think we can go on forever like the old days and any change is someone out to screw them. We're proving we can't go on like this. If everything was peaches and cream and Ghandi ran the oil biz we might go on for a little while, but that's just whistling past the graveyard. Once you hit the backside of curve, things are going to change and they are going to change fast.

The oil situation is a symptom of our disease, not the cause.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Politics and big business are one and the same. He who has the gold makes the rules, and that ain't no jive.

You're absolutely correct petroleum has a large effect on the economy. What your missing is that it's inevitable. Again, the whole exponential growth in a finite world deal. Sure some of the reasons might be manufactured, but even if they weren't sheet is gonna come to a head in relatively short amount of time for reasons that ain't manufactured. Oil is a limited resource, cheap oil is an even more limited resource. You can postpone it all you want, but the fact is it's gonna get scarce, it's gonna get expensive or it's gonna get both. No real change will happen until it's no longer feasible to depend on oil and use it like we do. As long as we can, we will. As long as we buy it, they will sell it.

You've said repeatedly the oil companies are the primary cause of the recession. That's like when people count 90 year hospital dwellers as "flu deaths". The flu didn't kill great-grandpa, it just showed death where he's been hiding for the last 35 years.

Sure some of it smells of monopoly, but so does every big corporation. At least big oil gives us domestic manufacturing and office jobs that pay decent, a redeeming quality that can't be said for other giants (retail?). Again that brings me to the fact that without big oil Oklahoma would be up crude creek without a barrel. Like it or not.

Dale00 is right. It's the number one economic ***** because everyone buys gas and it's in your face every day. For some reason people think we can go on forever like the old days and any change is someone out to screw them. We're proving we can't go on like this. If everything was peaches and cream and Ghandi ran the oil biz we might go on for a little while, but that's just whistling past the graveyard. Once you hit the backside of curve, things are going to change and they are going to change fast.

The oil situation is a symptom of our disease, not the cause.

What you posted is true, but it does not help that the liberals are trying to keep the price of oil and gas high to make alternate energy more competitive.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Government wants to take more from us then "big oil". Hell, the same politcians that tell us how bad "big oil" is screwing us, keeps looking for ways to tax it more. They just want their "fair share". They don't care about the rest. They are mad that "big oil" gives them competition for our money.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obviously I did not go far enough back in the thread ...

athreadbombing.com_data_media_2_th_popcorncat.gif

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What you posted is true, but it does not help that the liberals are trying to keep the price of oil and gas high to make alternate energy more competitive.
3 years ago crude oil was $145 a barrel, under Bush/Cheney. Today it is $85 a barrel.

Take off your partisan colored glasses Rick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom