OK ... I've been a bad prepper ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just quit fooling with it. Somehow or another I managed to just lose interest ... :teehee:

Potatos are already harvested because the plants died off before they bloomed. Still am not sure how or why that happened but I got a decent sized bucket full of new potatos. Will try them again next year ... Asparagus I planted this year is doing fine, so I expect to get a little something from them next year. I let the chickens have all the mulberries that fell off the tree this year -- no jelly there ...

Raised beds are covered up with grass ... Opps ... SO ... I'm gonna start digging them out tomorrow ... :teehee:

Today I fire up the dehydrator again (got some lemons than need to be sliced up and dried) and clean out the freezer (we have an old one that needs to be defrosted every once in a while) and get back with it.

Ohhhh ... and I went shooting Sunday AND I still have it ... Those paper targets ain't got nuthin' on me. :wink2: Well see how good I do at a match next Sunday. Long as my neck ain't bothering me ... :grumble:

So ... anybody else get the lazy bug and slack off?? No shame in it, I figure. Sometimes you gotta take a break ...

On and Lurker66 ... Buddy!! I miss you!! :heart:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So ... anybody else get the lazy bug and slack off?? No shame in it, I figure. Sometimes you gotta take a break ...

Yup, total slacker here. No garden at all. No new additions to the larder....

My single biggest prepping event this year so far has been the Run and Gun...and that nearly killed me. LOL.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't consider it as 'lazy and slacking off', it's more a matter of "IT'S TOOOOOOOOOO F *********G HOT", time to go fishing or get ready for the most important time of the year (HUNTING SEASON).

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our garden went to crap this year. We were able to grab some tomatoes for cooking and to make quite a bit of salsa, and some cucumbers for making pickles, but that's it. Not nearly as much as we pulled last year. My wife does most of the work since she's a teacher and has summers off, but this summer was her last semester for her masters in counseling and she had to take on a group of kids all summer to show she was competent in that field.

I just took on a new job myself and we both just haven't had the time. It sucks seeing weeds and grass grow up around it. Even worse is when I go to mow and seeing rotten veggies lost in the grass. I hate being wasteful. Guess I'm going to have to make up for it next season.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never really tried a garden myself aside of a little corner of the yard where I kept 3-4 tomato plants. But all this talk about weeds taking over got me wondering - is it at all feasible with tomatoes, carrots, and other non-creeping plants to put down a sheet of weed block before the final layer of soil, and just poke holes in the sheet where you're going to put these plants? Then you won't have to worry about weeding around the plants, and just watch for Bermuda grass coming in from the edges. Workable?

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never really tried a garden myself aside of a little corner of the yard where I kept 3-4 tomato plants. But all this talk about weeds taking over got me wondering - is it at all feasible with tomatoes, carrots, and other non-creeping plants to put down a sheet of weed block before the final layer of soil, and just poke holes in the sheet where you're going to put these plants? Then you won't have to worry about weeding around the plants, and just watch for Bermuda grass coming in from the edges. Workable?

I did raised beds. For me, it was the grass and weeds growing around the beds. My weed eater took a crap and it took me awhile to go buy a new one. I know we use the concept you mentioned for the flower beds in front of the house and it works pretty good.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy has had good results using the giant tree buckets. (think 100 gallon) Put some gravel in the bottom, and keep 'em watered. And if you're a scrounger like he, they're free!

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy has had good results using the giant tree buckets. (think 100 gallon) Put some gravel in the bottom, and keep 'em watered. And if you're a scrounger like he, they're free!

We use the same buckets for our tomato plants and peppers. Everything else goes into the raised beds. We put the tomato plants in coffee cans that we cut the bottoms out of to help keep bugs (tomato worms) from destroying the plant and bury half deep in soil in one of those buckets. Then when they get taller, we put a T-post in the bucket and strap the tomato plant to it. All of these things we found for free (except the soil; it's a special mix).

Latest posts

Top Bottom