Ok Sda, Usaf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYarb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay... I'm enlisting in the USAF. I want to get my CCW. I won't be 21 before I enlist. I can take my class before I enlist, but according to someone from OSBI, I won't be eligible for the OK CCW. Even though my Home of Record will be Oklahoma, I will NOT be considered an OK resident if I'm stationed in another state. Another problem being that you have to hand deliver the application to a Sheriff's Office and personally pick it up... Both of which will not be feasible.

Does this seem f'd up to anyone else? Due to my choice to serve my country, I'm no longer considered a resident for CCW purposes, but I have to deal with OK's tax laws even though I don't live here? What kind of mind**** is that? And since my HoR will be OK, unless I'm lucky enough to get stationed somewhere that considers PCS orders a valid residency requirement, I won't be eligible for THEIR CCW either.

The rep from OSBI gave me the number for Information Services if I had any more questions, but I called and it's a recording... so I dunno how that was supposed to help me.

Any thoughts? :(

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you that this is a problem, and probably not what the legislature intended. However, there is an easy fix for you.

As soon as you turn 21 and will be in one mail location long enough for the approval process to be complete, you can pick up a non-resident permit. A couple of states will work for you.

Utah, maybe, but it requires a CCW course from a Utah-certified instructor.

Florida, for sure, will work. If you have proof of some training in gun safety, no new course is required. The ways to meet this requirement are listed in their info packet, and maybe on their web site. A hunter safety cert, anyone's CCW course, a military rifle or pistol qualification, a DD214, all will work. In addition to that, it takes a squeaky clean record, prints, photo, a sworn statement that you have read the Florida rule book, and some other red tape. Cost was $117 when I did it. It took 90 days. Good for seven years. Its widely recognized, including in OK, even if you are a resident of OK. If you go to their web site and ask for the packet - get a couple extra. They are very picky about the application being done exactly according to their rules, so get spares to allow for mistakes.

edit - here is the link http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

jej

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot to add...some USAF commands are weird about airmen carrying at all, on duty or off, or so I hear. I recall reading somewhere that the guy in charge of USAF in Alaska [which allows CCW with no license] issued an order banning the practice on base or off. That was a couple years ago and I do not know if it is now true.

Maybe some USAF types here at OSA can comment?

jej

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I went through for my CCL (pre-SDA days...back in the early '80's).

I was a resident of Michigan when I joined the USAF.

Maybe OK is different, but I was still considered a resident of Michigan even though I was stationed in Washington St. at McChord AFB.

Michigan at that time was not very CCL friendly, but Washington had CCLs. The requirement was that I had to be a resident of Wash for at least 6-months to qualify. In order to do that, I just had to get a Wash drivers license and then I filled out a change of residency form on base.

After 6-months I was good to go. Nice benefit was also that Wash had no state income tax.

I just found it interesting that you were told you wouldn't be considered a resident of OK if you were stationed elsewhere. But...maybe OK is setup like that. I don't know.

In any case, I'm sure things will work out. Just got to get the rules figured out.

Congrats on enlisting! It's definitely something to be proud of.

:thumbup3:

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent a career in the military and always used my parents address when I needed an address in Oklahoma. Since it is my HOR and I kept paying Oklahoma income taxes I was ALWAYS considered an Oklahoma resident. Even if another state extends you the benefits of a resident (as does Oklahoma to service members stationed here) it does not change your legal status as a resident of Oklahoma.
Take the course now. When you turn 21 come home on leave and go to the Sheriff to submit your paperwork. Explain your situation to the Sheriff's representative and get them to hold your permit until you can pick it up. I know that is a pain, however it is one way to handle it.
The good news is that legislation is in the works to allow veterans to get a lifetime concealed carry license in Oklahoma!

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More info please?!

Friday, February 05, 2010

"On Tuesday, February 2, House Bill 3124 was introduced and referred to the House Public Safety Committee. No hearing has been scheduled.

Authored by State Representative Joe Dorman (D-65), HB3124 would create an optional lifetime concealed handgun license. If enacted into law, this legislation would become effective November 1, 2010 and the permit fee would be $500. However, Oklahomans would still be able to obtain a five-year permit for $100 or $85 for a renewal.

Indiana is currently the only state with an optional lifetime concealed carry permit."

jej

KYarb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll probably end up getting a FLA permit if I can't figure out how to get an OK permit without dishing out the cash for two airfares. If they implement the lifetime, then it might be worth it. I lived in Florida for 18.5 years prior to moving here, I've been here slightly more than 1.5 years. There used to be a clause in the Florida statutes about continuing residency based on certain factors but I can't seem to find it. Oh well, maybe I can get them to issue me a resident permit if I get stationed there, lol.

Edit: After more thinking, I found the statute. It was from when I was contemplating taking online courses through UF. According to the government, I'm a dependent student. My mom lives in Florida, therefore I'm a Florida resident for tuition purposes. Woo-hoo.

Florida Statues Title XLVIII Chapter 1009.21 Determination of residence status for tuition purposes said:
(4) With respect to a dependent child, the legal residence of the dependent child's parent or parents is prima facie evidence of the dependent child's legal residence, which evidence may be reinforced or rebutted, relative to the age and general circumstances of the dependent child, by the other evidence of legal residence required of or presented by the dependent child. However, the legal residence of a dependent child's parent or parents who are domiciled outside this state is not prima facie evidence of the dependent child's legal residence if that dependent child has lived in this state for 5 consecutive years prior to enrolling or reregistering at the institution of higher education at which resident status for tuition purposes is sought.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if you get stationed in a place that will give you a permit, the non-resident is good thing. If you get re-assigned to another location, the non-res is still good, with nothing but an address change. Its a state-by-state thing for how they will treat your FLA non-res, and how they treat your res if you relocate. Way to complicated to guess at all the rules for all the places you may end up.

Good luck.

jej

KYarb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if you get stationed in a place that will give you a permit, the non-resident is good thing. If you get re-assigned to another location, the non-res is still good, with nothing but an address change. Its a state-by-state thing for how they will treat your FLA non-res, and how they treat your res if you relocate. Way to complicated to guess at all the rules for all the places you may end up.

Good luck.

jej

Hmm... After some reading on the military side of things... It'll actually be quite easy if I can manage to get stationed in Florida like I'm trying. I was born there, so that's a huge plus. Registering to vote and switching my driver's license along with an intent to return on retirement will qualify me for residency. In addition, I'll never lose my residency because of moving on military orders;

Q: Is it true that military members do not have to change their domicile every time they move?

A: Yes. The Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act allows you to maintain your domicile while you are in the military. Therefore, if you were a Michigan resident when you entered the military, you are considered a Michigan resident until you get out of the military or you intentionally change your domicile.

Wonder how that relates to CCL's though. You're required to update your address if you move, so it may look like you have a non-res license. On the other hand, some (all?) bases have their own zip codes. It'd be pretty obvious if the address said "XXXX AFB, CO" and you had a FL permit... Hopefully... lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom