Ok Sda, Usaf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure, but I do not think FLA much cares if they have issued you a res or non-res permit. Either one lets you do the same things in FLA. Of course, a couple states do not recognize non-res permits and a couple insist that if you live there, you have a permit issued by then. AZ, for instance, recognizes the FLA non-res unless you are a res of AZ, then you need the AZ permit.

Either way, you won't regret getting the FLA permit, beyond the cash it costs you. I have one in addition to my OK permit. I had the FLA before I moved here and it will remain good if I relocate again.

Think hard about your residency choices - if you want to go to college in a given state, at a state school, establishing residency there early is a good thing to get res tuition rates. I mean, if you want to go to OU, you might want to maintain your OK residency. I don't know their specific rules. I sure did know them for the state where I went to college.

OTOH, as another poster mentioned, you can be a res of a place with no income tax if you qualify. FLA has no income tax. Also no estate tax, but you are probably not worried about that yet.

jej

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep your Oklahoma license and your parents address. Turn your paperwork into the Sheriff when u come home on leave....don't confuse them with any other details.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just be sure and check the CCW statutes in the state that you are stationed. Also just so you know. ANY AND ALL military bases DO NOT ALLOW CCW. It does not matter if you have a CCL or not. Also any and all guns that you bring on base have to be registered on base.

gunnut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Honestly I'd say wait until you get stationed after you complete BMT and tech school. Once you figure out where you will be stationed at, then evaluate your options. Orders can and do change all the time... so don't think you are going somewhere just because this piece of paper says so. If that was the case I would have gone to Okinawa after training, but I ended up in Oklahoma. I guess they both start with "Ok" and end in "a" so it's almost the same.

As for residency while you are active duty, I declared mine as Oregon. I've never once stepped on soil in that state. So it's pretty much an open field. Choose wisely.

KYarb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly I'd say wait until you get stationed after you complete BMT and tech school. Once you figure out where you will be stationed at, then evaluate your options. Orders can and do change all the time... so don't think you are going somewhere just because this piece of paper says so. If that was the case I would have gone to Okinawa after training, but I ended up in Oklahoma. I guess they both start with "Ok" and end in "a" so it's almost the same.

As for residency while you are active duty, I declared mine as Oregon. I've never once stepped on soil in that state. So it's pretty much an open field. Choose wisely.

I have to wait after tech and all that... I don't turn 21 until Oct :'( Then apparently some bases won't allow you to transport a personal weapon on a motorcycle, so it looks like I may be getting a car instead. :'( Lol.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to wait after tech and all that... I don't turn 21 until Oct :'( Then apparently some bases won't allow you to transport a personal weapon on a motorcycle, so it looks like I may be getting a car instead. :'( Lol.

Never heard of that rule...but you won't be doing much transporting on base anyway...to and from the armory if your base offers courtesy storage for dorm residents, or to and from base housing if you are married and reside there.

Again, I submit that the "someone" at OSBI is wrong about you not being considered a resident....all you need is your Oklahoma drivers license and an address that you physically reside at. You meet the requirements for residency. They don't require, or need to know, anything else. Take your class, get your paperwork ready to go and submit it to your sheriff on your first trip home on leave after turning 21. Come back in 90+ days to pick it up. Done. Unless you end up being stationed overseas then the whole issue is dead anyway.

Good luck, thanks for choosing to serve.

KYarb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard of that rule...but you won't be doing much transporting on base anyway...to and from the armory if your base offers courtesy storage for dorm residents, or to and from base housing if you are married and reside there.

Again, I submit that the "someone" at OSBI is wrong about you not being considered a resident....all you need is your Oklahoma drivers license and an address. You meet the requirements for residency. They don't require, or need to know, anything else. Take your class, get your paperwork ready to go and submit it to your sheriff on your first trip home on leave after turning 21. Come back in 90+ days to pick it up. Done. Unless you end up being stationed overseas then the whole issue is dead anyway.

Good luck, thanks for choosing to serve.

Found it on Kirtland's AF.mil site [http://www.kirtland.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet_print.asp?fsID=5590&page=1],

Concealed weapons permits issued by civil authorities are not valid on Kirtland AFB without the expressed written consent of the installation commander. If you bring a firearm on base, you must inform the gate guard of the intended use and destination. The weapon must be unloaded and not concealed. The transporting vehicle will not be left unattended and the driver must use the most direct route to and from storage. Firearms cannot be transported on motorcycles, bicycles, or any other two- or three-wheeled vehicles.

I'll definitely look into doing it how you suggested, though. I'll just have to wait and see how things turn out once I'm 21.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Others have already stated it. The Air Force will not allow you to CCW on base. And, if you decide to carry off base, you need the local jurisdictions permits to do so. AND, when you reenter the base, you have to relinquish your firearms to the Security Police (oops, Forces) armory to be stored. You can not have firearms on base in your private quarters.

That is, unless they've changed a lot in the past 25 years. And I don't think they have.

Your best bet is do your time, and worry about CCW later. If you want to carry a firearm a lot, join the Marines.

Latest posts

Top Bottom