Oklahoma grocery stores

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma used to have several small local grocery chains. Chains that were only 3 maybe 4 stores. Some like to claim that they were killed off by Walmart, but actually they were killed off by unions before Walmart really got started in Oklahoma.

Grocery stores have to buy from a Grocery Wholesaler. That Wholesaler Warehouse needs to be close enough to keep transportation costs down and large enough to leverage bulk purchases directly from manufacturers. For 20+ years, that wholesaler was Scrivner based in OKC.

Scrivner sold to virtually all the grocery stores in Oklahoma; Crest, Reasors, Griders, Red Bud, Best-Yet and many more. The grocery business is very tight on margins, so they have to control labor costs.

Scrivner's warehouse operations in OKC was faced with increased labor costs from the union. The management told the union they couldn't afford higher warehouse labor costs and remain competitive. The union wouldn't relent, so Scrivner started closing their grocery operation. They sold off what was left to Fleming Foods.

The big boys; Crest & Reasors survived by establishing their own small warehouses and bought in bulk for their chains of stores. The remaining grocery stores struggled in finding a cost effective grocery wholesaler and ended up closing. They started closing about the same time Walmart started expanding.

BTW - HEB is non-union

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What you just said related my experience at Walmart today. One of me 3-5 trips a year to that place. My coffee maker croaked yesterday, so I went in, compared, and picked one out. After 15 minutes inline to pay, I called the store and asked for the manager.

I explained my issues, and the check out line lights lit up down the line.

Do these people not monitor the checkout lines for long lines?

My grocery store, Pyramid guarantees no more than two people in line at a time or they open another lane.

10-15 minutes is my normal wait when I get sent to Sprouts or Whole Paycheck.

At Walmart I use the self-checkouts. It feels good to automate jobs away.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma used to have several small local grocery chains. Chains that were only 3 maybe 4 stores. Some like to claim that they were killed off by Walmart, but actually they were killed off by unions before Walmart really got started in Oklahoma. Grocery stores have to buy from a Grocery Wholesaler. That Wholesaler Warehouse needs to be close enough to keep transportation costs down and large enough to leverage bulk purchases directly from manufacturers. For 20+ years, that wholesaler was Scrivner based in OKC. Scrivner sold to virtually all the grocery stores in Oklahoma; Crest, Reasors, Griders, Red Bud, Best-Yet and many more. The grocery business is very tight on margins, so they have to control labor costs. Scrivner's warehouse operations in OKC was faced with increased labor costs from the union. The management told the union they couldn't afford higher warehouse labor costs and remain competitive. The union wouldn't relent, so Scrivner started closing their grocery operation. They sold off what was left to Fleming Foods. The big boys; Crest & Reasors survived by establishing their own small warehouses and bought in bulk for their chains of stores. The remaining grocery stores struggled in finding a cost effective grocery wholesaler and ended up closing. They started closing about the same time Walmart started expanding. BTW - HEB is non-union

Yep. I worked for Fleming 26 years.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10-15 minutes is my normal wait when I get sent to Sprouts or Whole Paycheck.

At Walmart I use the self-checkouts. It feels good to automate jobs away.

I've tried those for an item or two, and they work ok.
I had some cilantro and other items like that that seem to always give problems, so the person still has to come over, override the scanner, and you know the rest of the story. I'd rather use a person.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried those for an item or two, and they work ok.
I had some cilantro and other items like that that seem to always give problems, so the person still has to come over, override the scanner, and you know the rest of the story. I'd rather use a person.

Never had an issue... even with a full cart.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Oklahoma used to have several small local grocery chains. Chains that were only 3 maybe 4 stores. Some like to claim that they were killed off by Walmart, but actually they were killed off by unions before Walmart really got started in Oklahoma.

Grocery stores have to buy from a Grocery Wholesaler. That Wholesaler Warehouse needs to be close enough to keep transportation costs down and large enough to leverage bulk purchases directly from manufacturers. For 20+ years, that wholesaler was Scrivner based in OKC.

Scrivner sold to virtually all the grocery stores in Oklahoma; Crest, Reasors, Griders, Red Bud, Best-Yet and many more. The grocery business is very tight on margins, so they have to control labor costs.

Scrivner's warehouse operations in OKC was faced with increased labor costs from the union. The management told the union they couldn't afford higher warehouse labor costs and remain competitive. The union wouldn't relent, so Scrivner started closing their grocery operation. They sold off what was left to Fleming Foods.

The big boys; Crest & Reasors survived by establishing their own small warehouses and bought in bulk for their chains of stores. The remaining grocery stores struggled in finding a cost effective grocery wholesaler and ended up closing. They started closing about the same time Walmart started expanding.

BTW - HEB is non-union
BTW- liking HEB even more now. Bring it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom