Open Carry for OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Passes the State Senate and goes to the House:

Oklahoma Senate passes open-carry bill

By BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau
Published: 4/21/2010 11:37 AM
Last Modified: 4/21/2010 10:28 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY - A bill allowing people with concealed-carry permits to openly carry weapons passed the Senate. House Bill 3354 passed Wednesday with no debate and now heads to the House. The vote was 33-15.

Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs, and Sen. Anthony Sykes, R-Moore, are the authors of the measure. Sen. Tom Adelson, D-Tulsa, voted for it, saying he generally votes in favor of Second Amendment bills. He said the state already has a concealed-carry law and that he didn’t think the measure was a “huge jump.”

Sen. Brian Crain, R-Tulsa, voted against the measure. “I would not like to see 200 people carrying guns around Woodland Hills Mall,” which is in his district, Crain said.

Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre, D-Tulsa, said she is concerned about allowing people to carry guns around public facilities. “We are moving into an environment to where everyone will be packing a pistol around here,” she said. Eason McIntyre voted against the measure.

“I guess we are going back to the Wyatt Earp days,” said Sen. Richard Lerblance, D-Hartshorne, referring to the frontier lawman. Under the measure, people would be allowed to openly carry weapons in places such as bars, Lerblance said. “I can’t believe that in modern society everyone is going to be packing heat,” Lerblance said. He voted against the bill.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at Senate OKs bill to carry weapons

==========================

click to the article to read some remarkably uninformed opinions in response to the article.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree...

"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I would argue that this means this right is protected by the Constitution and BoR and is withheld from limitation by federal, state or local government.

Requiring a permit to exercise a right guaranteed by the BoR is inherently an infringement, vote of the people or not. I think a Constitutional amendment repealing the 2nd amendment would be required, but in my view, the 2nd amendment isn't eligible for repeal without scrapping the whole Constitution - since it was required to be included to achieve ratification in the first place.

Sorry, the State can be more strict than Federal. Just like a City can be more strict than the State. Examples: Some cities have ordinances that restrict the use of fog lights. Or, some cities (back in the day) required motorcycle helmets within their jurisdiction, regardless of age, when the State said only those below 18 had to.

By law, the Federal Government can not mandate how a State is ran. They can only withhold federal funds if they do not comply. Reference the 55 mph national speed limit a few years ago. If States wanted their funding, they had to lower their speed limits. One State, I think it was Montana, said no way. So they had no 55 mph speed limit. But they also got no federal highway funding.

Passes the State Senate and goes to the House:

Oklahoma Senate passes open-carry bill

By BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau
Published: 4/21/2010 11:37 AM
Last Modified: 4/21/2010 10:28 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY - A bill allowing people with concealed-carry permits to openly carry weapons passed the Senate. House Bill 3354 passed Wednesday with no debate and now heads to the House. The vote was 33-15.

Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs, and Sen. Anthony Sykes, R-Moore, are the authors of the measure. Sen. Tom Adelson, D-Tulsa, voted for it, saying he generally votes in favor of Second Amendment bills. He said the state already has a concealed-carry law and that he didn’t think the measure was a “huge jump.”

Sen. Brian Crain, R-Tulsa, voted against the measure. “I would not like to see 200 people carrying guns around Woodland Hills Mall,” which is in his district, Crain said.

Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre, D-Tulsa, said she is concerned about allowing people to carry guns around public facilities. “We are moving into an environment to where everyone will be packing a pistol around here,” she said. Eason McIntyre voted against the measure.

“I guess we are going back to the Wyatt Earp days,” said Sen. Richard Lerblance, D-Hartshorne, referring to the frontier lawman. Under the measure, people would be allowed to openly carry weapons in places such as bars, Lerblance said. “I can’t believe that in modern society everyone is going to be packing heat,” Lerblance said. He voted against the bill.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/arti...articleid=20100421_12_0_OKLAHO649094&allcom=1

Lerblance is an idiot. Fear mongering at it's lamest.

jwcoop

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Representative Mike Ritze was on the Pat Campbell Show - KFAQ, Tulsa - this morning (4/23/10) and said after all the parliamentary mumbo-jumbo, HB 3354 was passed and sent to the Governor for his signature.

It is a highly-amended version of the original "Open Carry" bill, but in my humble opinion, it is a big foot in the door. Ritze said 3354 gives folks in OK the right to open carry, but only after passing a CCW class. I have no idea what that means. The OK Legislature web site doesn't track 3354 very well, if all of the above is true. Also, being a self-confessed dummy, I can't seem to find the final language of HB3354 as sent to the Guv.

Guess we need to lobby the Governor now, if we want SOME kind of Open Carry legalized. And rise to fight again later..............

http://www.gov.ok.gov/message.php

-jwc-

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least with CC you know these people have had a background check and want to carry for the right reasons, open carry would be weird, what if bad guy open carry has a bigger gun than U, this is a bad bill

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At least with CC you know these people have had a background check and want to carry for the right reasons, open carry would be weird, what if bad guy open carry has a bigger gun than U, this is a bad bill

I understood all they did was add "or unconcealed" to the law. As in with the CCW permit, you are allowed to carry concealed or unconcealed. If that is the actual fact, one would still have to pass the background check and be issued a permit to carry. How would that be a bad bill? It would still be illegal for a bad guy to carry open. I guess you could argue that the bad guy could be taking a chance that no one would ask him for his permit when he was carrying.

Martialartsblackbelt

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

there are many other states with open carry. like Missouri.
bad guys dont play fair.
its like gun free zones are safe

Latest posts

Top Bottom