Open carry theater arrest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Denver Post article seems to tell the story better. http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...sted-bringing-gun-into-thornton-movie-theater

"The subject's possession of the firearm caused alarm to the theater staff and fellow movie patrons," police said.
He was booked on suspicion of "possession of a dangerous weapon," in violation of municipal ordinance 38-237, police said.
Mapes was issued a summons and released.
Investigators confiscated the gun as evidence in the case.
"This case is under review by our city prosecutor," said Matt Barnes, a Thornton Police Department spokesman, on Monday.
"We are an open carry state," Barnes said. "We look at the open carry law and how it relates to this incident. He felt he was exercising his right to bear arms in an open carry state, and we are currently reviewing that with our prosecutors."

Read more: Man arrested after bringing gun into Thornton movie theater - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...gun-into-thornton-movie-theater#ixzz22AGO0sDe
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

dra1965

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not knowing the law in CO any more than was quoted in the article, it sounds like everyone is in panic alert mode and they are reacting too quickly. I do believe that I would have carried concealed just in respect for the people that lost their lives on that day. I agree with the guy on exercising his 2nd amendment rights, you still have to abide by the laws of the land until they are changed. we should fight for our rights but do it right. Not just as a vigilant action.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with what he did. He states he was carrying like this all the time. He did the right thing, when he heard they were looking for someone with a gun, he went to discuss with the police. I did find this interesting about the law he was cited for:

Sec. 38-237.(d) - Dangerous weapons.

(d) Exceptions. The prohibitions contained in subsection (b)(1) of this section shall not apply to:
(4) A person issued a written permit to carry a concealed handgun issued by any sheriff authorized to issue such permits within the state and the carrying of such weapon is within the terms of such permit.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the guy who said non sensitive is the TSA agent.

untimely? kind of silly after the fact? didnt consult all laws n rules? maybe, the whole point is though, that folks need to stop relying on the nanny state and take responsibility for their own security. and this man started doin that, so no we all jump on him and call him stupid? HELLO! IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS CONCEPT???

i am gonna make a foundation, it shall be named "dont be a *****" and its main goal will be to get the fence sitter up to speed and it will pay for their permitting of constitutionally granted rights.

oh, buick freak, you still have my mags

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only way Americans will stop being "alarmed" by open carry is to open carry and have nothing happen. Situations like this will happen along the way.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember, I said stupid AND insensitive, not just insensitive. :)

I think we need to remember that as good citizens of our communities, we need to provide for our own personal safety and not rely on government. However, that doesn't mean we should not also exercise some common sense and good judgement. Openly carrying a gun into a theater in Colorado so soon after the incident exercise either. If he didn't know he was going to scare the sheep, then I question his ability to make good decisions under stress. If he already had a CCW, all he had to do was cover it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom