OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Merry Christmas OSA logo_InPixio.jpg

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About a week or so ago, I took my new Christmas/Anniversary present out to the 45th Infantry Museum to test it out. (It's a Nikon D850 camera, which is my kind of shooter.)

So, I just felt the real need to take pictures of other shooters.

Good day to all. May this day bring you all great memories.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice, gotta be careful if you travel to other countries with a camera like that. I know of some divers who carry pro grade DSLR's into Mexico and as soon as they get into customs they get hit with a big tax on stuff like that. Not sure if you will travel that far or not but something to think about. I highly doubt they will limit this to divers as well.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/attention-uw-photographers.586968/

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice, gotta be careful if you travel to other countries with a camera like that. I know of some divers who carry pro grade DSLR's into Mexico and as soon as they get into customs they get hit with a big tax on stuff like that. Not sure if you will travel that far or not but something to think about. I highly doubt they will limit this to divers as well.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/attention-uw-photographers.586968/

Nope. I never go that far. Outside of serving overseas in the military, I've only been out-of-country on two other occasions, both into Vancouver, BC. Once in 1962 for the Seattle World's fair and sightseeing and once in 2005 to catch a cruise ship to Alaska.

Tain't nothing in Mexico that is tempting me.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good evening gang,
Just got in from spending Christmas with the family up in Broken Arrow. We had a great day. Racked up enough gift cards that won't have to pay for a meal for a long time.

Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas Day!

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it's been one heck of a morning... Have not been sleeping well and my shoulder and back the last week or two have been to a point where I can barely stand it. Got to sleep around 4:00 am and at about 9:30 am a neighbor was knocking on my door. Her niece was here from out of town and her car would not start. They tried jump starting it and all it would do is crank over but not fire. Tried pulling the battery but just could not get it and wanted to know if I could help.

Pulled on a shirt and headed outside. Grabbed my toolkit and got the battery pulled out and put in the trunk. Walked the dog and then got a couple swallows of water and they were back so went down and put the battery in. Engine would crank but not start. Most it would do is sputter a little bit. It's a push button start system so wondered if maybe fuel pump was acting up. Had her cycle the ignition but not hit the start button. Same thing would crank but only sputter and not start. Pulled the plastic cover off the top and then the coils and plugs. They easily were factory with 127K on them. Looked dirty and possibly oil fouled so I sent them for a set while I pulled the others. Got to the one on the passenger side (4 cyl frontwheel drive) and the plug was submerged in oil. Got as much out as I could and pulled the plug out. I am sure that there is a leak in there somewhere but it's not something I am going to be able to do in an afternoon and the goal is to get her down the road. New plugs showed up, dropped them in put the coils back on (coil on plug), and fixed the negative for the battery cable end as the bolt that was in it was broke. Had her give it a go and it popped off on the third try, I am sure the cylinders had a little oil in them, especially the one the plug was submerged. Had her take it for a run on the interstate to clean it out a bit. She wanted to know what she owed me and told her to give me what she could afford and she felt it was worth. So 40.00 and lunch is what I got.

Going to stay awake as long as I can and then hopefully sleep ok tonight. Shoulder feels like someone has shoved a spoon in the joint and is working it around and my right hand feels like it wants to go numb... But at least she can get home and know the car will start like it's supposed to. After driving it on the interstate real quick it starts up and purrs like new. It was also hesitating before, she said it runs smoother too.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You did a good deed!

Yeah, I wasn't too worried about it. More often than not I do stuff like that to help people more than to make money. I can only imagine what she would have ended up paying after having it towed to a shop to have them get it to start. Probably 50 bucks for the tow if not 100 and then another 50 to 100 work on it. I probably could have got some starting fluid and made it run but after 127K miles the plugs were shot anyway, and she will probably get better mileage as well. With the oil I found I told her that if she was thinking about trading the car to get it done. The valve cover wouldn't be too bad of a job except the upper motor mount is bolted in such a way that it can't be taken off without the mount being removed... That means it's probably a 4 hour job to get it done. Looking at that plain was not an option for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom