Outdoor vs garage below-ground storm shelters???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have thought about getting a tornado shelter of some sort, but there hasn't been a tornado greater than F3 in thirty years (F3 in 92 and an F4 in 93). All of which did happen, none have ever come close to where I live. I get that it can still happen, but right now I just can't justify the expense in my mind.
When the day come that you could "justify" the expense, It could be too late. Success will always look like an overreaction in these type of scenarios.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I bought my house in Moore in 2014, and it has a "5 person" in ground in the garage storm shelter.

Well, at the time, my sons were between 10 and 13, but never had need for getting in there when they were here. Me and my 80 lb dog (at the time) fit quite well.

Got married, added two kids to the mix, and well, my wife and I put the kids in the shelter, she and the three dogs went to the bathroom, and I sat watching the news.

Now, I don't know if my knees would even let me get down in it. Straight down, with like 4 inch wide steps in the corner. One corner. My wife refuses to even try.

So, I am weighing options on in-ground in the backyard, and above ground in the garage or backyard. The other night, we were in the hall closet, and kid with both dogs was in the bathroom. (I can hear Norman's Northside sirens from my house. It sucks!) And my stupid weather radio goes off for any of Cleveland County, thought it was supposed to be less broad in scope.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in a storm celler! My dad a great guy, and father, but had an unreasonable fear of tornado's, would make everyone go to the storm seller if it thundered once. I haven't been in a storm cell since I got grown, 60 years ago. I have on a few occasions wished I had one, when it looked realty scary, but survived! If I ever build a new house, which I won't, I would build at least one bedroom, with steel reinforced concrete walls, and ceilings, heavy door, etc. that would serve as a save room, as well as a storm shelter.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m guessing it depends on if you live in Oklahoma or the Twilight Zone. 😂 Seriously though, I don’t think one can be categorically nominated as “The Best” but would depend on your individual situation. I don’t have either but have a basement that serves as our “Fraidy Hole”.
Sure hope the ceiling is reinforced concrete, otherwise you are sitting in the hole where all the rubble from a direct hit on your house will go.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We "won the lottery back when the state had it. Got $4000 to help pay for one, got the biggest one they had for out side, flat top 1' above the ground. About 3 years after it was installed wife got real sick and part of that was getting a charcot foot. After she recovered we talked about the shelter and about that time I had a knee replaced and our goldies were getting older we ended up installing an above ground in the garage so now we have 2. I was nervous about either of us getting down the steep steps in the below ground and I don't think I could my pups down there either. I would never have a below ground in the garage, as some have said you might have to move a car and I have seen 6" of water in my garage.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a Realtor and have seen a lot of different types. I never really wanted one- I just always figured I would get in the bathtub and cover up with a blanket. We were under a threat hear in El Reno and had small kids to deal with - granny got nervous and headed over to a relative's home where there was an inground from the 60's. I just stayed on top and watched the weather on my phone. That one went north of town and wound up taking out some rural properties until it got to Piedmont where it tore the hell out of stuff. I have decided that the above ground even if put on a patio is my preference. Easy in and out and you should be able to crack the door enough to get a phone signal. My bother/sister-in-law have one and I like it.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I build a house. I’ll have a panic/tornado/gun room built above ground. It will be far more comfortable.

This is what I'm hoping to do.

We currently have an underground shelter in our garage. It's better than running through hail to get to one in the back yard. But we do need to move the car up towards the front to use it.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My opinion. Sloped front outside well away from house. Reason.nephews family nearly drowned in garage in ground when garage flooded.he said water was pouring in so fast and so much weight on door he barely got it open. Seems to me if your roof goes rain could do the same or house collapse just block you in.sloped front because it's easier for kids women or old geezers to open. Well away from house because I've seen how much debris will scatter and sloped front MIGHT help it blow off. Whatever you choose make sure it has a hand rail on steps. Makes it far easier to climb in and out.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
May 3 of 99 we lived just on the east side of Tinker. The home there had a walk in cellar into the hill of the home that was 2- 12x15 rooms. Two steel doors and a slide door on the outside door to slide over it too.

It was built to serve as a root cellar and storm shelter. May 3rd 99 there was over 40 people in it with lots room to spare. It had a escape hatch that if the door was blocked you could take a 15 ton jack that was was in the 7ft escape hatch out the side that was there to break a 3inch ceiling the escape hatch, it had 10” of dirt on top. The cellar had 4ft of earth on top of it.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't want an outdoor shelter. Running through hail to get to your shelter, which is damp and full of lizards and snakes, is not as much fun as it sounds. Having had both I'd go for the in-garage shelter any time.

You hang a ball from the ceiling to make sure you pull forward enough so you can get in with the vehicle over you. The vehicle is part of your protection from falling and windblown debris.

As for rain and gas, with the wind blowing 70+ miles per hour any gas should be blown way off down the county. Rain and other water accumulation is minimal since the sides are sloped upward about 4-6 inches. Only what falls on the top of the shelter (if no vehicle) and runs through the venting, or is blown sideways under the vehicle and through the venting gets through.
I have an above ground shelter from Safe Sheds
https://www.safesheds

at one of our homes 0outside McAlester in Pittsburg County. It’s same model as those installed at Fort Sill and Fort Leonard Wood. 24,000 lbs reinforced concrete anchored to the ground, metal puncture protection in the roof, heavy steel door and optional bolted escape hatch, L: 10’ W: 8’. H: 6’7”, Max Occupancy 12. I had it placed about 100’ feet from the house to reduce the possibility of being trapped in a virtual oven within the burning wreckage af my home. I’m physically disabled and can’t effectively use an in-ground shelter. Over about 10 years, I went in it twice based on my own interpretation of radar The last time we used it during a tornado warning there were 9 neighbors, 3 dogs sharing it with my wife and I. It also serves to store some gardening equipment and a floor jack but keep 2 lanterns, drinking water, snacks, chairs, sledge hammer, pick, shovel, saw and first aid kit at all times. The cost with shipping was $6,700 back then. This winter I deposited 10% down and ordered another for delivery this summer in Alabama at a total cost of $9.100. I told my neighbors in Oklahoma they could use it without asking anytime whether we’re home, or not, and I’ll tell my neighbors here the same. I don’t lay up in it and won’t use it unless there is clear evidence of an actual threat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom