Outdoor vs garage below-ground storm shelters???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember flying out not long after the 1999 tornado. It looked like a giant eraser path. Sections of asphalt roads and parking lots just gone.

Each version of shelter has pros/cons obviously and will depend on the person or families particular situation. For me, I don't want it outside because I don't want to deal with hail, lightening and rain getting to it. I just can't trust above ground after seeing the path of the Moore F5 from the air. I'm sure they are fine, but for me, I want to be under ground.
Wifey saw that too and didn't like the possibility of being just another projectile in the mele. That is why we went with the below ground in the garage. We do have a jack some wood 4X4s screws boards and a come a long inside. I also take a bucket with litter, a battery radio, a gun or two, or three, with ammo and some flashlights with batteries. A deck of cards might be a great addition just in case.

Our last house we had a neighbor ask to join us one evening inside our frady hole. We cordially invited them in and they brought their yellow lab with them which was just fine but he had just been sprayed by a skunk. Since I was turning green, about to blow chunks I gracefully left the safety enclosure and sat in the living room watching Gary pointing out with great fervor my future demise.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Theoretically you go to the shelter before the storm hits.LOL brother has an in ground in house but it's not in garage. It's in house floor about 6 inches or so above concrete in garage.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, trying to plan what kind of storm you are in to decide above of below ground won’t get you far. Just get the one that works best for you and your life and move forward. The weather won’t cooperate no matter your choice.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ask yourself this:
Would I want to get dressed, go outside and get into a storm shelter while it's storming and possibly get smacked with hail or debris or rain?
Or
I can wear me pj's, get into my indoor garage shelter not located in the elements and stay dry.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some people say that in-ground shelters-the metal ones flood on occasion due to rust. I've had ours for nearly 11 years and have had no problem. As a matter of fact, I do have some ammo in GI ammo cans stored on the steps of the shelter. It could flood and still not bother the ammo, it will remain dry.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ask yourself this:
Would I want to get dressed, go outside and get into a storm shelter while it's storming and possibly get smacked with hail or debris or rain?
Or
I can wear me pj's, get into my indoor garage shelter not located in the elements and stay dry.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd ask myself this: If threatening weather is imminent or forecast would I rather wear my PJs into the shelter and risk being in PJs if my home is destroyed or would I prepare a little better and already be dressed (or have clothes and other supplies gathered) and prepared to enter my shelter...wherever it was?

There's more to consider than just having to walk thru the elements. Some people can't physically navigate the steep stairs and small entryway of an underground shelter. Some people have pets to worry about and it's much easier to get them into an above ground shelter...same with wheelchairs, etc. Not to mention above ground shelters don't have to be outside, far away from the home. Many are inside or very near to the home, like ours. And ours will eventually be inside when we build our new building.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its like everything else everyone is different and their needs are different so each person has to decide what will work for them now and in the future as they get older, but no matter what you choose their will be pro's and con's either way just have to weigh them and see what works for you. Just like buying/building a house not all are the same.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ask yourself this:
Or

Or do you want to be trapped inside your indoor garage shelter for hours because the tornado has dumped tons of debris on top of you? Not me.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the day come that you could "justify" the expense, It could be too late. Success will always look like an overreaction in these type of scenarios.

Perhaps you're right. Nobody knows. But I'm pushing 70 and have never actually even SEEN a tornado in person. And I hope I never do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom