Pellet Grill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can only shake my head in amazement at this thread. You people spend WAY more time and effort on cooking than I do! I’ll have to try something cooked by one of you folks, because I have a hard time believing the results could really be worth all that much investment.
I (actually wife) didn't want to spend time and effort on cooking, that's why we bought a Traeger. Just set the dial to your preferred temp, throw the food on when the digital dial reads your desired temp, pull food off when your mental timer goes off or it looks done or when the digital meat probe says it's done. Then, turn dial off and go eat. No ashes to clean out and no dampers to operate. The pellet hopper holds enough pellets to cook several times on it without refilling.

The eggs are nice too but I like not messing with charcoal. Many pros and cons can be argued about different grills but I think anyone who has been around a pellet cooker like the Traeger would say it's the easiest to operate.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You've obviously never had good BBQ before.

That’s a subjective comment, of course. I’ve had what I considered to be excellent BBQ at various restaurants, but I don’t know that I would want to spend as much time and effort to attain that level of goodness. That was my point. To each his or her own.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a subjective comment, of course. I’ve had what I considered to be excellent BBQ at various restaurants, but I don’t know that I would want to spend as much time and effort to attain that level of goodness. That was my point. To each his or her own.
It's actually pretty easy once you get it down. It's not real easy on crappy cookers. I tried and tried with the $49 water pan smokers and was only frustrated. Everyone else thought the food was good and I guess it was, but like you it wasn't worth the effort to me. Quality equipment changes that completely.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It IS easier to get great BBQ than most people think.

And as for eating BBQ out... I just DON'T anymore. I USED TO think I was eating great BBQ at a few places... now, it's like steak, I hardly ever get it anywhere else but my own back porch.

@Shadowrider I can't tell you honestly how hot I can get the Yoder. Just got it a few weeks ago, and I've been so busy with work and volunteering stuff, I haven't done a lot on it. Of course, I never really crank 'em, either, I just don't have a need. The Yoder nowadays has a 2-piece drip pan to allow you to slide part of it down from over the firepot and direct sear that way, but mine doesn't have that. Mine has a solid 1-piece drip pan. I thought about buying the new one, but like I said, I have several other ways to sear, so I haven't bothered.

Just picked up about $200 worth of Prime ribeyes and strips at Reasor's for tomorrow night! :D

<edit> Heck, I think I'll fire it up for a while here just to find out, AND to play with my new thermometer!

Last edited:

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's actually pretty easy once you get it down. It's not real easy on crappy cookers. I tried and tried with the $49 water pan smokers and was only frustrated. Everyone else thought the food was good and I guess it was, but like you it wasn't worth the effort to me. Quality equipment changes that completely.

Very true. Once I got a good offset and started paying attention to the wood I use and the rub, I think the local BBQ places are just bland now.

Personofinterest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m waiting to hear the ideas on an OKS meat and greet. If I may be so bold a poll might be in order to see the interest of such an undertaking. I’ll leave it up to the organized ones to take it from here. Just an after thought... might consider a chili competition in conjunction with the BBQ for those who want to participate but not in the BBQ portion.
Maybe sell tickets to taste and judge the best pot of red. All proceeds minus the costs of the cups and spoons going to???

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very true. Once I got a good offset and started paying attention to the wood I use and the rub, I think the local BBQ places are just bland now.
That's a good tip right there. A lot of people will use green wood or water soak it. That actually makes for an inefficient burn. The best smoke flavor comes from real light smoke which is what you get from dry wood that burns well.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's a good tip right there. A lot of people will use green wood or water soak it. That actually makes for an inefficient burn. The best smoke flavor comes from real light smoke which is what you get from dry wood that burns well.

Absolutely. I use dry hickory exclusively.
You want a good blue color smoke flowing from the stack and make sure there's airflow. Shutting the vents and trapping the smoke can cause a bitter taste to the meat.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m waiting to hear the ideas on an OKS meat and greet. If I may be so bold a poll might be in order to see the interest of such an undertaking. I’ll leave it up to the organized ones to take it from here. Just an after thought... might consider a chili competition in conjunction with the BBQ for those who want to participate but not in the BBQ portion.
Maybe sell tickets to taste and judge the best pot of red. All proceeds minus the costs of the cups and spoons going to???

Problem with BBQ is, you gotta cook it before you bring it, unless you're going to make it an all-day or overnight thing. Some of the guys on the BBQ forums I hang out on get together and go camping for the weekend and bring their grills... well, some of the grills. Lots of Weber kettle cooks at those, I hear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom