Pest control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cured my wasp/yellow jacket problem by moving in a natural preditor, a colony of Purple Martins. No more wasp or yellow jackets.

Thats interesting because after I spray, I find dead recluse and other spiders. Maybe coincidence? Maybe they starved to death because I killed the food source? lol

There have been studies looking at this and beta-cyfluthrin, especially the wettable powder version, did actual get good kills on brown recluse spiders.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Entomology is a hobby of mine, I love anything to do with arachnids since I collect and raise them along with reptiles.

Ive had several widows in my collection that are cool to observe, but dont recommend it. I use nature as a natural way of controlling my spider populations out in my shop/studio. Tons of yellow and blue mud daubers have set up out there and they come back every spring that Ive been here in OK, 12 years now. I leave them be, theyre not aggressive towards us, and theyre beneficial being the primary predators of most any colored spiders like brown recluse spiders, black widows, those little jumping spiders, and sometimes even wolf spiders (as long as they leave my orb weavers alone we're cool, I get the most awesome orb weavers back every year outside my back door and yard and near the front doors).

Ive observed the wasps many times pulling out and eating spiders from around my flourescent shop lights and from the empty boxes up on my shelf. Ive never been stung once, I dont even swat at them. I do not let them set up in or near the interior of the house tho, I do have to live with a mean lil part Italian wife and she does not share my love for natures creatures no matter how beneficial they are- the house gets a good spraying in the spring and everything runs to the garage that lives.

I like to keep a large collection of empty boxes out in my shop that I use for shipping stuff out to my clients in my business and alot of the house spiders will all go out there and make their homes in and near the boxes. In the spring the wasps come out in droves and feed on the eggsacks and spiderlings and then go after the runners. Very cool to watch...

web.jpg
brown-recluse.jpg
black widow.jpg
spider chart.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I would probably use aerosol wasp spray, most of these can spray pretty far distances, but do this at night as they are less aggressive, pick a colder night if possible. Be sure to destroy the nests or other wasps will move in and use it.

Been there, done that. Multiple times a year. Every year.

I've gone through 8-10 cans in the last week, got up in the attic and emptied out on their nests, then knocked them down. Several 12"+ diameter nests up there. Still thick around the house.

I cured my wasp/yellow jacket problem by moving in a natural preditor, a colony of Purple Martins. No more wasp or yellow jackets.

*snip*

I may have to try this. How long did it take to have an effect?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may have to try this. How long did it take to have an effect?
I really dont know, I initially got the martin house to rid the mosquitoes. I was told they love them. Actually they do but prefer an easier catch with more reward, like wasps and dragon flies. I learned this sometime after getting the martin colony and began to realize the wasps that used to nest all around the house were gone and no more nests. Martins are really cool birds and very human friendly. They come back to the same house every year that they are alive too. They migrate in from S. America in about mid March, breed and raise their young and leave to go back south in July or Aug.

Latest posts

Top Bottom