Picked up a bucket list pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good deal. I have a Pietta 1858 with 8"bbl. Mines decently accurate. You can use wads over powder ir use a dab of bore butter to seal. I can usually shoot 3 cylinders before having to clean.

Just watch out for ricochets. I was shooting into a big redoak and have had several bounce straight back. Was using round balls. Much better penetratiin with conicals. These old guns are fun but way underpowered.

And way messy to clean.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Underpowerd? I recently did a test with my Walker with .45Colt conversion cylinder. All the loads I tested could easily be duplicated with the Remington pecussion revolver. I started with 10 grains of Goex FFFg and filler, 20 grains and filler, 30 grains and filler, 35 grains, and 40 grains, all under a 180 grain Buffalo Ball-et. Velocities were: 539, 783, 961, 993, and 1057. The 1057 is equivalent to a .40S&W. Most folks don't consider the .40 underpowered. Granted, the Walker has one more inch of barrel length over the Remington so the Remington might be a bit slower, but most targets would never know the difference.

Aviator, you mentioned the heavy hammer pull, don't try to lighten the hammer spring very much, if any at all. That heavy hammer is necessary to: 1. reliably ignite caps and, 2. hold the cap on the nipple against the back pressure while firing.

The youtube channel owned by duelist1954 has a good video on disassembly and cleaning of the Remington, and also a series of videos on velocity and energy testing with various powder charges and bullets.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks Pulp. I'll check the youtube channel out.

I hadn't planned on making any changes to the pistols springs until I'm familiar with how it works and behaves in the hand first. It has a very slim grip and allows the outside of the fingers grasping the grips to touch the outside of the trigger guard. The first thing I may do is look for some fatter grips.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The youtube channel owned by duelist1954 has a good video on disassembly and cleaning of the Remington, and also a series of videos on velocity and energy testing with various powder charges and bullets.

I watched some of duelist1954's videos awhile back and found them informative and enjoyable to watch.

Does anyone know of any shops that stock cap and ball revolvers or the best places to order them from?

Latest posts

Top Bottom