Possible Taurus Takeover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every brand has their lower entry level pieces of crap. This includes S&W as well as others. If you buy the lower end stuff you will have the same problems. Taurus' 1911's, pt beretta and lots of their revolvers are excellent firearms. However, lots of their polymer stuff does have problems. I would reccomend one of their 1911's to anyone. I think the purchase is a good thing(except for the foreign aspect-an American company could easily do the same) maybe the prices will drop on some of the items.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive got two, model 85ul an a 856, No problems. I did have trigger and reliability work done on them. because I carry one or the other (just like my Glocks ,S&W m&P, and even my 4' Springer Operator)
Had a pt140, again No problems, traded for a shot gun I needed
Had a 1911ss...Yep NO problems, traded that for a rifle I needed
Now some of the models I dont have experience with, but overall I like the taurus
The Lawyer locks (just like the S&W) can be taken out
My Experience, I dont have a problem with them

.Now since the boating accident I'll be replacing them and I wouldnt be against having the Tauri again.
But with the cost ....It will be some time before they get replaced

.Word of caution dont store or take your guns out for boat rides.....Carry on

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As Taurus currently charges "$450 for a $150 firearm", I don't see any possibility of a price break on any of the listed companies. I can see Taurus investing in a technology/other foriegn market to bring manufacturing costs down, but that wont translate to lower final product costs. It's a business to make money... They will make as much as possible

I know Taurus has a handful of satisfied fanboys out there, I certainly know a few in person. And I'm genuinely happy those poor souls are happy with their paperweights. But most I know play the part of satisfied customer just to protect their own ego...

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taurus definitely makes guns to sell at a low price point. They're better than Hi-Points, and not as good as S&W / Ruger. Unless you count the S&W Sigma...

Taurus/Rossi has so-so to bad customer service, and I think you're statistically more likely to need it... the combination of the two is why I stay away.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, there's pros and cons to taurus acquiring Freedom Group. My thought is if they leave their design (R&D dept), QC and warranty folks in brazil and let these companies operate independently, it may not be too much of a bad thing. I'm basing this on that their clones (S&W revolvers, Beretta 92, Winchester lever action, 1911) may be decent but I still currently have no plans to own any taurus.
Just my opinion.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I highly doubt Taurus would change any of the logistics on how these guns are built. I don't think it would make much sense in terms of costs. As far as them taking them over, ya can't hate the player.....

Takeover is always a possibility when you go public. Most gun companies would do well to stay private IMHO.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've sat and watched S&W "streamline" manufacturing in the last decade or so. New smiths aren't as quality as old smiths. (though I'll argue the performance center guns are) they owned the market when they decided to cut manufacturing costs, spending money to recoup+make money.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know Taurus has a handful of satisfied fanboys out there, I certainly know a few in person. And I'm genuinely happy those poor souls are happy with their paperweights. But most I know play the part of satisfied customer just to protect their own ego...

And some people can't admit when their wrong

Latest posts

Top Bottom