Privacy fence options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best combination I've found is galvanized posts, treated cross members, cedar slats. Have one that's been up right at 25 years and is still strong and looks good. Neighbor on the other side didn't want to pay for cedar (shared install) so went with treated slats. Five years old and is looser and looks worse than the 25 year old cedar.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to figure out a way to fence one side of our yard so our dogs and that neighbor's dog can't see each other. The barking and fence running is getting completel out of hand. I've fixed our dogs a 10x20 kennel so they can't hit on the wood fence anymore but they can still see each other thru the slats. Once they catch a glimpse of each other they ALL go from zero to warp speed in no time at all.

And with me having 2 and the neighbor thinking that behavior is okay ("she's just trying to protect us" :bigeye:) I'm a bit out-numbered.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can afford it hire professionals to do the build. I've built 2 generations of wood fences on my property and even though I've been meticulous with both builds they just haven't stacked up to professional builds. Plus I worked my buttocks off.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to figure out a way to fence one side of our yard so our dogs and that neighbor's dog can't see each other. The barking and fence running is getting completel out of hand. I've fixed our dogs a 10x20 kennel so they can't hit on the wood fence anymore but they can still see each other thru the slats. Once they catch a glimpse of each other they ALL go from zero to warp speed in no time at all.

And with me having 2 and the neighbor thinking that behavior is okay ("she's just trying to protect us" :bigeye:) I'm a bit out-numbered.

You ought to look into Steve Gibson's "The Quiet Canine" Electronic Dog Whistle--Acoustic Management of Unruly Dogs from a Distance
https://www.grc.com/tqc/TheQuietCanine.htm
It's a DIY acoustic dog training device that sends a blast of sound to discourage dogs from continuing undesirable behavior.
Here's the episode of Security Now wherein he describes its predecessor, "The Portable Dog Killer"

(Despite the name, no canines were harmed in the making or use of the Portable Dog Killer.)

Last edited by a moderator:

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can afford it hire professionals to do the build. I've built 2 generations of wood fences on my property and even though I've been meticulous with both builds they just haven't stacked up to professional builds. Plus I worked my buttocks off.

^^^^^^^^^^ What he said. I get compliments on how straight and level my fence is. I've put up 5 or 6 through the years here and for relatives. They never looked as good as this.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think if i ever put up a privacy fence it will be with sheet metal we do alot of them for baseball feilds using 3x3 square tubing as post and 3 inch c perlin as rails with sheet iron of the color we want and add a top cap to it makes them look pretty nice and no worries about rot

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ohhh, thanks guys! I may have to resort to something like those for the neighbor's dog. I'm working with mine (if you have the ability to micro-manage your dog's environment fot a few weeks BAT -- Behavior Adjustment Training -- is a fantastic method to teach your dog to replace "negative" behavior with "positive" ones.) but obviously I can't positively affect what goes on on the other side of the fence.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to agree with the vinyl guys. Get good quality, spend a bit more and will last longer than cedar and still look better throughout time. Put up cedar or any other wood fence and within 4 months you cedar will still be inlace but will look like a dull great weathered crap fence. You may have good intentions about spraying a sealer on it several times a year but let me tell you; you won't. If you want a pretty, nice looking fence go with a quality vinyl because you won't pressure wash and seal your fence 2-3 times a year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom