Quail Hunt w/Grandpa. Ammo size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guntera

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm been giving an great opportunity to go quail hunting with my grandpa, uncle and cousin in Jan. We think it may be the last time with grandpa so I want to make the best of it. I've never been quail hunting so I'm not sure what would be a good ammo size.
I bought an older High Standard Field Classic 12 gauge. It takes 2 3/4 shells. what you recommend for a shot size? 7 1/2 or 8 shot?
Thanks for your help!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i'd go with the 8 shot. afew more pellets than the 7 1/2. quail don't typically run after being wounded, so put as much shot out there as possible. IC or skeet chokes work the best. take all those opputunities to hunt with grandpa you can!

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking this is a pump..???

Either-or will work fine, have you had several chances to shoot it before you go hunting??

Worked out all the bugs if any?? What choke is it?? Have you got a chance to shoot at a paper target to see what pattern(choke) it throws and you'll know the best zone/distance/close up for your hunting trip.

Man-oh-man, I sure miss quail hunting!! A few years back, I had one heck of a Brittany bird dog!!

The fun is after the birds are cleaned, smoke a few cigars and drink some good ol American bourbon.....and let the stories of quail hunts present and past begin!!

Have fun!!

Cohiba

romeo212000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i'd go with the 8 shot. afew more pellets than the 7 1/2. quail don't typically run after being wounded, so put as much shot out there as possible. IC or skeet chokes work the best. take all those opputunities to hunt with grandpa you can!

What quail are you hunting that don't run if wounded? All the bobs I've ever hunted will run like pheasants if wounded. As for the op, it depends on whether the birds have been hunted or not. If so shoot 7 1/2 shot. That 12 gauge will throw enough lead that a little less volume is a good trade for a harder hitting load. If you don't usually quail hunt you will need it.

romeo212000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Been 9 days so far. Something about scenting conditions are tougher this year. Shot my limit only 4 times so far as opposed to 6 in 9 hunts last year. Still killed birds each time. Just not quite as many.

guntera

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, Im gonna buy a box of both 7 1/2 and 8 shot since that seems to be the recommended sizes. I'll see what works best. Cant wait to go! Quail wrapped in bacon on the grill? UMMMMM!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom