Question about End of Days, Rapture, Tribulation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wasn't the bible written by man? in other news, no one has gone to heaven and wrote about it. Come on people.

It was written by men(plural) and evolved(changed) over a period of turbulent times(biblical canon wasn't really final until the 5th Cen.), then the reformation brought/reopened questions of interpretations, opinions, traditions.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Greek orthodox Church and some lesser known churvhs/clans/sects in the middle east as well as the Ethiopian Christian Churchs. The Catholics were not and ain't the beginning.

It's certainly debatable who among Catholic and the various dioces of Eastern Orthodox churches to argue who split from whom. But barring that debate, are there modern congregations meeting today that predate those not just in perceived purity or rightness of liturgy and worship but in time of existence?

BillyBob shared some history but it really doesn't directly answer the question of which church of present Christian faiths and its practices go back the oldest?

I asking simply from a historical perspective and not a strictly theological one. I also understand the oldest doesn't mean the 'correct.'

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember, WIKI is not an absolute source on anything when it can be edited and changed readily. There is lots of good info in WIKI, but it IS however, on the internet... Parleyvous Francois? (I think that is a fair phonetic approximation of the commercial)

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's certainly debatable who among Catholic and the various dioces of Eastern Orthodox churches to argue who split from whom. But barring that debate, are there modern congregations meeting today that predate those not just in perceived purity or rightness of liturgy and worship but in time of existence?

BillyBob shared some history but it really doesn't directly answer the question of which church of present Christian faiths and its practices go back the oldest?

I asking simply from a historical perspective and not a strictly theological one. I also understand the oldest doesn't mean the 'correct.'

They are not as big, organized, recognized but the churches in Armenia and Ethiopia still have a good strong following. The same with some places in Syria (remember that bunch that I SIL was after?) There are several Coptic Christian churches in muddle east.

There is currently a scholary attempt to unravel and find the very beginnings of chridtianity (pre church). So far Ethiopian traditions/records are by far the most enlightening.

If i was going to practice being a true Christian, I'd shed all I was ever taught and find as much early Ethiopian records/documents/traditions and start there.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Some would contend that would be the Greek Orthodox Church of Jerusalem as a direct linage from the first church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Orthodox_Church_of_Jerusalem

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Remember, WIKI is not an absolute source on anything when it can be edited and changed readily. There is lots of good info in WIKI, but it IS however, on the internet... Parleyvous Francois? (I think that is a fair phonetic approximation of the commercial)

This is true for scholary discussions but works very well for a forum. When one is searching for truth, wiki can be a good place to start in today's age.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are not as big, organized, recognized but the churches in Armenia and Ethiopia still have a good strong following. The same with some places in Syria (remember that bunch that I SIL was after?) There are several Coptic Christian churches in muddle east.

There is currently a scholary attempt to unravel and find the very beginnings of chridtianity (pre church). So far Ethiopian traditions/records are by far the most enlightening.

If i was going to practice being a true Christian, I'd shed all I was ever taught and find as much early Ethiopian records/documents/traditions and start there.

Ethiopia gets even more interesting when you consider it's Jewish ancient connection and the different stories about how they got there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_Israel#Oral_traditions

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ethiopia gets even more interesting when you consider it's Jewish ancient connection and the different stories about how they got there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_Israel#Oral_traditions

Yes it does. One thing many Christians tend to not think about is the Jewish connection. Jesus and the disciples were still practicing Jews and that includes Peter.

Personally I kinda think it was Paul and his followers that branched off and started mudding the waters.

Take out anything that Paul wrote or attributed to him, remove a big chunk of Matthew, and remove Revelation. Things get a lil more "better".

Add in books of Thomas, Judas, Mary.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think Norman 681 was the first to get the name of the book right. It is "Revelation" in the singular, not revelations.

I am a member of the Church of Christ, whose members adhere to the Bible and no councils or other "gathering" of faithful to decide things. One of the sayings of the Church of Christ is that we "speak where the Bible speaks and are silent where the Bible is silent.

All that said, Revelation is not really a book of prophesy, at least not in the way we normally use that word. The book is a revelation OF Jesus Christ and not a revelation BY him. That is clearly stated in the first of the book. As we believe, there will be no "end of days" as written of in the Left Behind series of books and movies. Jesus will return and the dead in Him will first rise to the sky to be with him, followed by those that are still alive and in Him.

Don't worry about a rapture and tribulation. Just do a very diligent study of the Bible in all areas. While the Old Testament is a "history" leading up to the New Testament, there is still much in the Old that is beneficial to us, even if we are to live according to the New. Good luck in all that, and enjoy the learning process.
I totally agree with you. I am a member of the church as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom