Question about Permission to Carry in Places with "No Weapons" Sign

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only way you could be charged is if you are in a place specifically spelled out in the law as a place you can't carry. Otherwise you can ignore signs with the knowledge that if you are discovered you are at risk of being asked to leave. Refusing to leave could result in you being charged with trespassing. At least that is my understanding of the law as it is currently written.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone one else, but for me if there is any form of the basic "No Firearms " sign I just go on down the road. Now I don't have to big a problem with no open carry, but if it says no firearms it also means no business with me.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only way you could be charged is if you are in a place specifically spelled out in the law as a place you can't carry. Otherwise you can ignore signs with the knowledge that if you are discovered you are at risk of being asked to leave. Refusing to leave could result in you being charged with trespassing. At least that is my understanding of the law as it is currently written.

I do not have a link to refer you, unfortunately, but I have a paper copy of a legal brief circulated to all OK city attorneys that opines the sign itself is legal notice, and the owner is not required to give notice twice before requesting police remove you for trespassing.
Just the same as walking past the posted sign on the farm gate, the sign is all the notice you are required to be given. Of course, you could be a test case.....

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not have a link to refer you, unfortunately, but I have a paper copy of a legal brief circulated to all OK city attorneys that opines the sign itself is legal notice, and the owner is not required to give notice twice before requesting police remove you for trespassing.
Just the same as walking past the posted sign on the farm gate, the sign is all the notice you are required to be given. Of course, you could be a test case.....

Rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. I avoid places with signs anyway, but I think sign placement would be a factor too. Many places have their signs at foot level or off to the side where most people don't see them unless they are looking for them. And if you are carrying concealed no one should notice you are carrying anyway.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've walked into businesses where I was pre-occupied with talking with a companion, and didn't notice the gun buster sign stuck at the bottom of the door with all the other stickers until I was leaving.

I carry concealed also, so nobody would have noticed it.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I believe the signs are a "request". There are signs that say "No shirt, no shoes, no service" as well, but that doesn't prevent you from entering, but it also doesn't prevent them from asking you to leave.

A gun buster sign is akin to posting a "no jeans or purple hats" sign. It's a request, and if, as a proprietor, I see something I don't like, I can ask you to leave (regardless of signage). If you don't leave, it becomes a legal issue.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the owner of the store gave you permission in writing and backed you up, then the employees would be hard pressed to be able to actually have a trespassing charge filed against you.

Personally, I think it's silly to want to spend that much time screwing with it...I'd just shop somewhere else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom