Question about Reloading & Supplies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Another idea is some common competition gear. Double Alpha or preferably CR Speed belts & mag pouches and the like. Extended mag bases, follower/spring kits, Nordic Components shotgun accessories, shotshell caddies, etc. for 3gun.
NOBODY stocks this stuff.

Absofrigginlutely on this ^^^ all of this stuff has to be ordered and it really sucks if you have a match in 2 days but just got the funds for it today, plus the shipping charges on all of it. It also sucks being poor and having to buy a little at a time, but that's another story.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as calibers go, 9mm and .40 should be at the top of the list. Followed by .45ACP and .38/.357.

Another idea is some common competition gear. Double Alpha or preferably CR Speed belts & mag pouches and the like. Extended mag bases, follower/spring kits, Nordic Components shotgun accessories, shotshell caddies, etc. for 3gun.
NOBODY stocks this stuff.

theres a reason nobody stocks it. everybody comes in plays touchy-feely and the goes home and orders off the web.
Been there -done that.

Tommy, make sure reloading is something you really want to get into and something you know about.
it takes a knowledgeable sales person to make money with reloading supplies.
thats why walmart don't sell it.

you can drop $50k into reloading real fast and still not have what people want.
you have to be well stocked and known for stocking it or it will just gather dust on the shelf.
alot of people have stocked a $1k or 2k and its still all on the shelf when they go out of business.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
theres a reason nobody stocks it. everybody comes in plays touchy-feely and the goes home and orders off the web.
Been there -done that.

Tommy, make sure reloading is something you really want to get into and something you know about.
it takes a knowledgeable sales person to make money with reloading supplies.
thats why walmart don't sell it.

you can drop $50k into reloading real fast and still not have what people want.
you have to be well stocked and known for stocking it or it will just gather dust on the shelf.
alot of people have stocked a $1k or 2k and its still all on the shelf when they go out of business.

I can just about guarantee that if someone had this stocked locally and word got out, it would sell. I can't count the times I've heard complaints at USPSA matches about having to hunt it up on the internet, wait for it to be in stock and then wait for delivery. We've had discussions about the total lack of interest that a local range that actually hosts USPSA matches has in stocking just a small number of the common items that almost everyone uses. That said I was just eluding a small number of items, the common stuff. And it wouldn't take a huge outlay on inventory. There are a couple of kydex holster makers local that could put some of their stuff in there and I'm betting that one of them would jump at the chance. Common Glock, M&P, XD and 1911 stuff would walk right out of there.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I spend around 1000 to 1500.00 dollars a year with Powder valley myself. If someone would be competitive with there prices, I would love to buy it local. But understand, I don’t just buy a couple of boxes a year so I need to shop around for the best prices.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been there -done that.

It's a shame, but this is absolutely correct. Price is the primary factor with most of the younger shooters. I can't tell you how many shooters I have educated with load data, helped loaders fix loading problems, help them with their shooting and help them with gun problems to then have them purchase from other manufacturers due to price.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a shame, but this is absolutely correct. Price is the primary factor with most of the younger shooters. I can't tell you how many shooters I have educated with load data, helped loaders fix loading problems, help them with their shooting and help them with gun problems to then have them purchase from other manufacturers due to price.

Damn...It's pretty hard to beat your prices.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tommy, I'm a good example of a High End reloader. I buy in quantity, (All I can from Mitch at J&K, handgun bullets mostly..) Usually from Powder Valley on primers, 25K at a time usually. Powder for handgun stuff also mostly from Powder Valley, in 8 pound jugs. For most of my rifle stuff, I buy milsurp pulldown powder and bullets, due to the quantity that I shoot. That isn't a road for the inexperienced or the faint of heart. I develop my
loads using a chronograph and once I get a load dialed in for a particular gun, I keep with it until I get a different batch of powder. I might come in for a 1 pound jug of powder in some odd need, but unless you are competitive with Powder Valley in the large quantities, I can't afford to buy locally. Fortunately for you, I'm not the norm. There won't be much margin on reloading components if you are competitive, but it might make
a good loss leader. Get em in and sell em guns etc. I spend several thousand dollars a year on reloading for me and the family. Blitzfike

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems I remember when OAS got out of the reloading business it was because the city council or county comissioners had passed a law making it less cost effective.
And I suspect it was quite high fee wise to get them out because they had a decent volume of customers back then buying reloading supplies.
So I would check into the legal issues early on.

Last edited:

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems I remember when OSA got out of the reloading business it was because the city council or county comissioners had passed a law making it less cost effective.
And I suspect it was quite high fee wise to get them out because they had a decent volume of customers back then buying reloading supplies.
So I would check into the legal issues early on.

I think you meant OAS. They told me one time that the fire marshall required special areas to store the gun powder and that they needed a fire sprinkler. Fred wasn't going to spend the extra money for the sprinkler system, so they got out of the business.

Latest posts

Top Bottom