Question for computer nerds and cheap asses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I would get an Android tablet before I would buy a Windows computer or iPad especially for the uses you mentioned but you asked for cheap asses and this cheap ass would put Ubuntu or Mint on the old computer and carry on.

I have an ancient tablet with Android 4 that easily does everything you want. I just need to get a new battery for it. I also recently found out that it can be upgraded to Android 11 using a few software hacks so that's a plus.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you buy decent quality it will last. My current everyday desktop is a 2015 model Dell workstation that is heavily updated. It does some pretty heavy lifting, and does it very well. I figure it has another 4-5 years minimum worth of life on it.

If you’re willing to learn a new operating system, there’s versions of Linux for everyone. And they’re all free. Well, consumer versions are.
I have heard that Linux is pretty good, with the only real drawback (for some) that it does not play well with Third-Party video games. Being an 'old-fart' gamer, this would be a no-sell for me 😊

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old desktop is apparently crapping out. And I need another one.
I looked at some cheap windows 10's
but the lady said their end of life was 2025.
Then theres high dollar ones that are upgradable.
I only surf osa and fb and an occasional ebay or Amazon purchase.
So it's not like I need sum big whoopty do monster gamer or some thing.
Any advise???
Get a mini pc. Not a fast gaming machine but good for web surfing, email, youtube etc. Cheap, has w11 or if you research, I'm sure you can find a w10.

Under $300

Limited-time deal: Beelink Intel i5-8259U(up to 3.8Ghz) Mini PC,SEi8 Mini Computer,Dual Nic Mini Pc Equipped 16G DDR4 RAM/500G M.2 NVME SSD,Support 4K Dual HDMI,WiFi5,BT5.0,Auto Power On https://a.co/d/gANSgdS

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a mini pc. Not a fast gaming machine but good for web surfing, email, youtube etc. Cheap, has w11 or if you research, I'm sure you can find a w10.

Under $300

Limited-time deal: Beelink Intel i5-8259U(up to 3.8Ghz) Mini PC,SEi8 Mini Computer,Dual Nic Mini Pc Equipped 16G DDR4 RAM/500G M.2 NVME SSD,Support 4K Dual HDMI,WiFi5,BT5.0,Auto Power On https://a.co/d/gANSgdS
I also have a Minix Mini pc that I run in my truck. Have 10 4tb solid state hard drives for all my movies. Also about $300.
16898740404762974984429108824536.jpg

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Does that unbuntu linux run about the same as windows or is it a whole new learning experience?
It's been awhile so forgive me if I disremember, but I don't recall having any trouble with it.

Like I said before, you can load it beside Windows and try it out. If you don't like it you're not out anything but a little time.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a boat anchor of a laptop. Dell something or other that's over 10 years old. While it's actually spec'd still decent, it won't even run Windows 10 because the i7 quad core CPU is too slow for it. :rolleyes2

It has decent graphics and is otherwise in good shape except I need to replace the CMOS battery which is a 5 minute thing. Anyway, I slapped a $40 SSD drive in it and loaded Linux Mint on it. Now I have to figure out what the hell to do with it. I also have a new Macbook Air with the M1 chip too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom