Question for the Internet Experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the default gateway ip of the router is upstream, you cannot ping it without connectivity to the isp.

the ip you're referring to as "gateway address of the router" is the router's ip address within the LAN subnet. this would be the gateway address of the pc, not the router.

a gateway IP is a defined route path on a device, never an IP on a device.

in this case you are correct that pinging the "ISP's gateway address"(actually your router's gateway address) as you say, is the true test. this is what i had instructed in my original troubleshooting steps.

just a mis-match of terms going on is all, just dont want the OP to be confused.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if I understand this right if I get a disconnect and ping fails on both windows then the problem is the cable or the router. If the ping continues to the default router gateway but fails at the cox default gateway the problem exists with the cable running out of the house?

if both pings fail at the same time, this tells us the problem could cable or your pc. (there are many issues that can cause intermittent connectivity issues local to a pc itself.)
if both pings fail on more than one pc at the same time, the problem is not your cable, or your pc. It is your router.
if both pings fail on one pc, but not on another pc, the problem is not your router.
if the ping to the cox next hop ip (defined in your router as the default gateway on your public ip address) fails, but the ping to your pc's default gateway succeeds, the problem is upstream of your router - possibly modem, cable, filter or hardware failure on an upstream network device.

if it ends up being the cable you can re-tip them pretty easily. radio shack sells the RJ45 crimp tools & tips.
theres a crimping tutorial about halfway through the power point pres labeled "ICND Built around lab similator -1"
goes over color codes & tool usage.
http://davidproberts.com/professional-2/neteng/

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys.

After changing the cable and swapping it to a different port - no problems from either ping window for over 2 hours. Hopefully that has resolved the issue.

If not...

Stealing the words of a famous movie character: "Ahhl be bahck".

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you got your problem fixed, but if your computer acts slow are a little funny, PM me your e-mail address and I'll try to send you this Trojan Finder program that works very well and may fix a lot of problems for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom