Questions for the DIY Processors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone else use vacuum seal bags like Food Saver?

I started last year and the work great if you get a good machine.

We use one also. they can give fits on occasion if you get any water in the sealing area.
We found that partially freezing the steaks, etc before sealing eliminated that problem.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We do our own every year. After meat hits the ground, standard gutting, hang it a let the meat cool for awhile. Skin the deer, remove the meat. Place in fridge while at cabin. Get home, debone, remove silver skin, & cut steaks and grind hamburger. Seal in meal proportioned vacuum bags. Freeze and that's it.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think another helpful tip with the vacuum is pre making some bags, that way you can cut the delay between seals in half.

I've also hear that freezing them before hand works great in eliminating the blood mess. I'll try that out this year.

2tothechest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got an electric meat grinder from Lowes for $100. Seems like it is pretty good quality. I used it earlier today, and I will never turn a crank handle again. If this one doesn't last, I'll buy the expensive one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got an electric meat grinder from Lowes for $100. Seems like it is pretty good quality. I used it earlier today, and I will never turn a crank handle again. If this one doesn't last, I'll buy the expensive one.

Thats what mine cost several years ago. Got it at Service Merchandise in Tulsa.
Its done many deer and made lots of sausage. Just remember its not the most powerful and don't overload it, or it won't last.

Latest posts

Top Bottom