Questions for the DIY Processors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I take it you're putting meat directly on the ice without a ziplock, right?
I can't spesk for him, but thats the way we do hogs. Being hogs though we age them according to size. If they're small usually three days. Larger sows about 5 and larger boars usually 7. It does tenderize the meat because the tissue is being broken down. As far as taste, the longer it ages, tends to take out the wild taste that is present in large boars.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started processing my own deer abour 8 years ago. When I first started I would skin and quarter the deer in the field then wrap the quarters in a plastic bag and put in the ice chest until I got home (anywhere from 1 to 5 days). Once I got home I would debone the meat and hit the grinder with all of it except the straps.

A couple of years ago I started boneing the meat right in the field and putting all the cuts in ziplocks then the ice chest. Once I got home everything was ground up.

I could not tell the difference between the meat that was quartered and put in the chest versus the meat that was deboned and bagged.

I am sure that I am not getting all the meat that a processor would but for what I have invested in equpiment (grinder attachment for the kitchen aid mixer and a vaccume sealer), I have saved a ton of money.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
Use an ice chest with a drain in it.
On day one when you cut it up, mix all the meat with ice.
Others may do it differently, but I put the ice chest on a box or something and slightly tilt it toward the open drain. Catch the water in a bucket and pour it out every so often. It will be blood red.
After about three days of adding ice, mixing it, the water in the drain will start to become clear. Your done. Slice it up or grind it:wink2:

Just another thing I do. If I have to get in a hurry and not have time to drain it in an ice chest, go ahead and freeze it, but when you thaw it out, do it a couple of days in advance and let it set in the fridge...the blood will drain this way too.

thats the way we do it. bee doing it for over 25 years works great.

Reaction score
Eeeeh, just get a knife and start slicing until the fur is off and the parts fit in the ice chest / freezer - you'll figure out the details just fine on your own. :-)

Except for maybe the hanging part...it helps to have someone show you how to use a gambrel and hoist it the first time - and don't cut the achilles tendons!

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On ageing Ive heard 3 day/100lbs and you don't want to freeze the meat while it's ageing. If I remember correctly there is a natural bacterial process that goes on in that tissue that helps with tenderizing. Once the meat is frozen, that natural tenderizing process stops.

I know many people worry about "gamey" flavors but maybe I wonder if that applies more to animals that aren't killed in agricultural areas.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eeeeh, just get a knife and start slicing until the fur is off and the parts fit in the ice chest / freezer - you'll figure out the details just fine on your own. :-)

Except for maybe the hanging part...it helps to have someone show you how to use a gambrel and hoist it the first time - and don't cut the achilles tendons!

I hang from the head and skin down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom