Range rep Boyd stock Ada

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What the hell. Here's another pic
Boyd glamor 2.JPG

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My shooting fundamentals suck. I was driving by an area I can shoot at (same place I had to shoot from the other day). Pistol range Where I had to set up "again" from my pickup tailgate.
Work close on but who cares. Set my target up, drove back and checked the distance with my range finder (102 yards).
Put my bags on the tailgate and sat in portable chair I had in the back.
First shot is always dead on (see picture center shot). Follow up shots were crap. Seems I'm really calm and solid with the first shot. I know I was hurrying because I only had time for a single group of three, but that's no excuse.
I seem to be out of breath after the first shot and the reticle is squirming around like a cheating wife.
Need to get my game twisted down and that means practice (not hurried) and reset my eye relief.
Don't have this issue with my ar (with scope) or iron sights.
It ain't the gun HA! Consistency hitting dead on with the first shot and rapidly spreading is on the shooter ME :loser:.
Range time this weekend. Got some work to do on me and not the gun.
Stringtown.JPG

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what accuracy is all about--fundamentals! First of all, you need a solid rest. A good concrete bench is a good start. Second, it is all about the trigger pull, holding the rifle just so, modulating your breathing, and so on. No way to get there without lots of practice. That is one of the reasons a lot of guys start with an accurate .22. Build on your fundamentals without the added recoil and muzzle blast of a center fire caliber, and move up from there. But, yeah, it does take trigger time....

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what accuracy is all about--fundamentals! First of all, you need a solid rest. A good concrete bench is a good start. Second, it is all about the trigger pull, holding the rifle just so, modulating your breathing, and so on. No way to get there without lots of practice. That is one of the reasons a lot of guys start with an accurate .22. Build on your fundamentals without the added recoil and muzzle blast of a center fire caliber, and move up from there. But, yeah, it does take trigger time....
You're dead solid right on with that M. I was watching you and a couple of other guys that have game with accuracy.
Seems you shooters have one thing in common. You find a comfortable place behind the trigger. Not just getting everything in place and set, but a very comfortable sync. Very little adjustment of the body or regripping. No muscle tension and breathing is normal or almost zero.
I'm like a duck on skates. Ha!
Just need to get the time to shoot, evaluate, shoot, evaluate and so on. Now, I'm just too eager to put brass on the grass. That's why my first shots are usually my best.
I'm shooting (today and yesterday) from a horribly unstable position but I hate to make excuses. I just need to get better.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're dead solid right on with that M. I was watching you and a couple of other guys that have game with accuracy.
Seems you shooters have one thing in common. You find a comfortable place behind the trigger. Not just getting everything in place and set, but a very comfortable sync. Very little adjustment of the body or regripping. No muscle tension and breathing is normal or almost zero.
I'm like a duck on skates. Ha!
Just need to get the time to shoot, evaluate, shoot, evaluate and so on. Now, I'm just too eager to put brass on the grass. That's why my first shots are usually my best.
I'm shooting (today and yesterday) from a horribly unstable position but I hate to make excuses. I just need to get better.

Have you thought about going to Appleseed? That's good place to start

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have thought about it and would definitely benefit from it.
Most of the people I shoot with are like me. Hunting background where most of your targets are close in or Deer sized with lots of close will do the job.
Lately I've tried to shoot around people that have skills. Tend to watch what they do and copy it. Get lots of great input from here and between stealing mechanics and form from others, I try to fit it into my spot.
I'll get there and it's fun going through the process. Even my worst days of shooting, I learned something. If I didn't, I post it here and get the answer pretty darn quick (which I appreciate).
Taught myself golf without picking up a club till I was 30 and got down to a 3 handicap in 3 years. That seems like a long time, but it's not and I worked at it.
I did it by playing with people that were good and then people that were great . Watching what they did and asking lot's of questions. Still I had to develop "My swing" and "My game". None of that happens until your fundamentals are squared and trimmed.
Golf and shooting are twins. Both take a great deal of concentration and commitment. It's the guy holding the club, just like its the guy behind the trigger. Sixty things have to go perfectly right (in both) for one great outcome.
Thanks for the past help and the future help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom